Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long to age an "ale"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
TalesSpin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long to age an "ale"?

Second batch of beer here and it's an ale. Wondering how long to let it age after I bottle. Is is best to wait # months before even trying it, and will it get better or worse with age after that?

Last time I made a stout and it aged for about 4 months by the time the wife and I drank it all and it significantly better with age.

EDIT: Oh sorry - it's a "honey ale" (2.5lb honey) and I mixed Cascade and Saaz (with cascade finishing) hops with a Pilsner yeast. Don't know if that helps..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
msujack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What type of ale? It could benefit from aging as little as 3 weeks. Or might need a few months to come together. A basic ale will be good in a couple weeks.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Depends exactly what kind of ale. IPAs and Pale ales generally are a little better towards the fresher end of the scale i.e. 3 week ferment, week or so dry hop, 3 week bottle. Your darker ales tend to benefit more with age and allowing the flavors to meld. Which in IPAs you don't want, you want that intense hoppy aroma, which will mellow over time.

What kind of Ale was it?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Cbaddad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Painting with a broad brush, I would say most of my homebrews hit their sweet spots between 2 and 2 1/2 months. Of course browns, porters, and stouts taste better at 3 and beyond. They are definitely drinkable and even tasty early on, but they tend to be better a bit later. i keg my beer and find that I often have drunk a 1/4 or 1/2 the keg when it finally "blooms". I have recently been holding back on taking my "tasters" until the 2 month mark. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
TalesSpin
Recipes 

Oh sorry - it's a "honey ale" (2.5lb honey) and I mixed Cascade and Saaz (with cascade finishing) hops with a Pilsner yeast. Don't know if that helps..

Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
Depends exactly what kind of ale. IPAs and Pale ales generally are a little better towards the fresher end of the scale i.e. 3 week ferment, week or so dry hop, 3 week bottle. Your darker ales tend to benefit more with age and allowing the flavors to meld. Which in IPAs you don't want, you want that intense hoppy aroma, which will mellow over time.

What kind of Ale was it?
What about a dark IPA? Aka a IPA with roasted barley/chocolate/Carafa/etc....

Lol ill be doing one to get marked by bjcp judges and with it being like > 1.065 im thinking like 8-9 weeks total..4-5 weeks fermenting, 2-3 weeks aging/carbing in cold keg, then a few days dry hopped before bottling from keg....but with such a high gravity beer i cant help but wonder if i should go longer on the aging...

Quick Reply