*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how long after carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Catalina
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long after carbonation?

I understand I am supposed to wait 7-14 days after adding sugar, carbonation and bottling before I can drink. But how do I know, in that 7-14 days, that the beers are ready? And, if they aren't ready, how can I tell?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
alenub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can't tell without opening a bottle. Just be patient, put them away out of sight and forget about them for at least 3 weeks. If you don't have a pipeline started yet to hold you off in the meantime, start one. You'll drive yourself mad otherwise

Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
I understand I am supposed to wait 7-14 days after adding sugar, carbonation and bottling before I can drink. But how do I know, in that 7-14 days, that the beers are ready? And, if they aren't ready, how can I tell?
Yea, don't even try it after 1 week unless you like cold flat beer. After 2 weeks you should have some carbonation, but it's still not ready. Go buy a case of good craft beer, wait the 3 weeks and recycle the empty's you just drank on your next brew which should be in the fermentor now.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

+1 to what these guys have said. It will be well worth it to wait atleast 3 weeks before throwing these into the fridge. It was a hard lesson for me to learn when I started brewing 2 years ago so now my beer cases go into a closet until they are ready. Get started on another batch so you can have a pipeline going.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The bottles are ready when they look clear (unless the beer is opaque to begin with, carbonating beer has a sort of hazy look when held up to a bright light), they make a satisfying "pshhh" sound when you pop one open, and they taste good when you drink the beer. Unfortunately, many new brewers have a tendency to bottle "green" beer because they are still familiarizing themselves with proper yeast management and fermentation procedures, which means that you may sometimes experience unbalanced or harsh flavors that will take several weeks or months to age out. So while you are learning, give the beer at least 2-3 weeks in the fermentor and another 3 weeks in the bottle. With more experience, you'll only bottle beers once they are no longer "green", and they'll be ready to drink as soon as they are carbonated, usually within a week or two after bottling, depending on the temperature you keep them at.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick Reply