Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default how long?

How long should you expect for beer to mature after bottling (taste wise). I've read there are many variables, so I'm looking to see if there are any general times.
ex
fruit beers using natural fruit about 1 month
fruit beers using extract 2 weeks
stouts 1 month
pils 2 weeks
and so on

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

Default how long?

It's tough to get a list as you have shown. Very generally, more flavorful brews and brews that depend on more complex flavors require more time for the flavors to meld together. Higher ABV also adds to this. So an RIS with bourbon and vanilla could take quite some time. Same with a big Belgian.

Conversely, "simpler" brews are pretty quick. If they only rely on hops (like an IPA) you don't have to wait at all. Same goes for a hefeweizen.

Edit: I doubt anyone will ever get you a timeline like you have shown (1 week, 1 month, etc.). You will always see a range. Something like this:

RIS - 6-12 months
Low ABV Belgian - 2-3 months
Hef - ASAP
IPA/APA - ASAP

Old 07-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks freisste. That makes a lot of sense with my concerns. I'm trying to compair my friends IPA you can drink 2 weeks after bottling with the Belgium beers I like to make.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I've brewed up maybe 6 or so IPA's so far and had one that tasted similar to Ranger after 3 weeks, but when my friend finally stopped by a week later it wasn't even the same beer. It made me change up my typical situation from 3/3/3 to 4/4/1 as I don't like changes.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

rodwha I experienced the same with one of my Belgium beers. It tasted like one of Samuel Adams Special Batched Verloren. Also what are you talking about when you give the ratios of 3/3/3 and 4/4/1? Are they the fermintation/rack/bottle in time(weeks or months?)?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Sorry. It's the typical 3 weeks ferment followed by 3 weeks conditioning, and then 3 days in the fridge to carb properly, but mine is all in weeks giving it 4 weeks in the fermentor, 4 weeks conditioning, and 1 week in the fridge, which helps clarity as well as I do nothing usually, though I do have Whirlflock.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 891 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

For my beers, its about the fermentation time. Most of my beers will be done in 10-12 days, although some (a big Belgian Golden Strong right now) kept working for over two weeks. After fermentation is done, I rack to secondary if I'm dry hopping of adding fruit. If not, then its ready to keg/bottle. I bottled big 1.100 RIS 14 days after fermentation and it tasted good. I'm hopeful that it will bottle age well, too, but it's fine now.

Old Today, 04:40 AM   #8
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I ferment for 3-4 weeks. Even though the specific gravity has been converted isn't better to have the yeast cake clean at that point?

Quick Reply