Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I just started brewing less than a month ago. I brewed 3 batches in the first 3 weeks after I got my equipment and I was loving brewing every weekend. Problem is, we're going on vaca in a week and a half so I've had to put my brewing on hold until after vaca. I've already bottled my first brew and my 2nd and 3rd batches are going to be bottled this week leaving me with no more brewing activities until after vaca...

I am planning on picking up where I left off though on that first week after vaca and get those fermenting buckets full of beer once again!

Last edited by MMJfan; 06-03-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I feel your pain! I hadn't brewed for 6 weeks up until last Memorial weekend. I was having issues keeping my swamp coolers cool enough. I got a huge ice chest that is now maintaining temps very good, and it holds 2 fermenters. So I brewed a party-gyle last weekend so I could get 10 gallons in there. I also have some saison yeast on the way, so I can get another batch going without a swamp cooler.

As far as the OP's question goes, my hoppy beers seem to fade at about 8-10 weeks...
You were having trouble keeping your coolers cool? I seem to remember a certain someone with a mountain of ice bags in one of his swamp coolers.... apparently lagering some sorta something.... know anyone like that?! But.... it sounds like you're even better off now. Glad to see ya back brewing some beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Getting to the point where my wife is requesting brews and wondering what's next and when I'm brewing...I think it's growing on her.
My wife's always been a beer girl, and has really good taste, IMO. She brews a few amazing beers too, but I'm the main one brewing, so I gotta keep the pipeline going for both of us.

Oh yeah, and or something like that.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #23
MMJfan
Recipes 

My wife's not a big beer drinker (more wine). But she's the one that gave me the push to get me started in this hobby by getting me my brewing equipment for my birthday this past month. She's helped me brew every batch I've done so she enjoys the brewing process, just not the beer so much.

She does like Oberon which I have dry hopping at the moment and she does like fruity beers so I'm going to make an Apricot Wit soon so that should appease her enough!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
You were having trouble keeping your coolers cool? I seem to remember a certain someone with a mountain of ice bags in one of his swamp coolers.... apparently lagering some sorta something.... know anyone like that?! But.... it sounds like you're even better off now. Glad to see ya back brewing some beer!
Haha! Yeah it's actually easier to keep it at 35-40F since you just bury the sucker in ice bottles. Keeping a constant 62-65F seemed to be more of a challenge. Now that I'm using an ice chest instead of rubbermaid containers I'm not having problems anymore.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #25
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Quote:
I feel your pain! I hadn't brewed for 6 weeks up until last Memorial weekend. I was having issues keeping my swamp coolers cool enough. I got a huge ice chest that is now maintaining temps very good, and it holds 2 fermenters. So I brewed a party-gyle last weekend so I could get 10 gallons in there. I also have some saison yeast on the way, so I can get another batch going without a swamp cooler.

As far as the OP's question goes, my hoppy beers seem to fade at about 8-10 weeks...
Quote:
Haha! Yeah it's actually easier to keep it at 35-40F since you just bury the sucker in ice bottles. Keeping a constant 62-65F seemed to be more of a challenge. Now that I'm using an ice chest instead of rubbermaid containers I'm not having problems anymore.
Epic! Your thread on that inspired me to lager my alt (kolsch yeast) in the swamp cooler..... or should I say, attempt to lager it that way. I ended up using my 70 qt cooler to do it, but the ice mountain sure worked!

And OP, I sure wish so many people would quit going here. What's wrong with you people?!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #26
MMJfan
Recipes 

Sorry brah...

Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #27
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Sorry brah...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #28
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

This thread is so that now it's on topic!

So, I guess I'll say something that is relevent to the OP's op...
I had one beer that I brewed that actually retained it's aroma for about 3.5 months once. That was the only one I ever brewed that retained it's aroma that long. It was a Midwest kit that I added aroma additions to. The kit was the Liberty Cream Ale, but I don't recall what aroma hops I added.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #29
punkerdru
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
The oldest beer I have around is from last fall. I'm actually feeling like I'm pretty low on homebrew, I didn't brew for ~a month or so until last week.... and I should be honest, I only have one keg waiting on deck, the other one next to the fridge is my sons' root beer.
It's pretty easy to stock up though. I try to brew weekly, and my wife also brews and makes wine and between that and commercial brew, we're pretty stocked. I'm only really set up to primary two five gal batches and one 2-3 gal batch at a time. About a third of my batches are < 3 gallons, and I try to always have a small batch and at least one five gal batch going. I also like to have at least a batch aging. Look at my sigline, the two I have in secondary are both just bulk aging. And they're both small batches, < 3 gal, so it seems like a lot, but I won't be drinking on either of those until this fall or winter. One of the three I have in primary is 2.5 gal of IPA, once that's bottled and carbed, we'll kill that in a week or so. Some beers we drink fast, others may sit around awhile, like my wife's N.E. brown. I try to keep a mix of both.

Yeah, I guess I would probably be pretty stocked up too, but my brother's getting married in three weeks so even though I've been brewing every weekend I give him one case for the wedding. We'll have a hell of a selection though!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #30
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Quote:
This thread is so that now it's on topic!

So, I guess I'll say something that is relevent to the OP's op...
I had one beer that I brewed that actually retained it's aroma for about 3.5 months once. That was the only one I ever brewed that retained it's aroma that long. It was a Midwest kit that I added aroma additions to. The kit was the Liberty Cream Ale, but I don't recall what aroma hops I added.
That's nice to hear. That's their kit of the month this month, and I have a pretty awesome mother that gets us a membership for xmas! I have it sitting downstairs in and next to the fridge. Maybe I'll try upping the aroma adds a bit. But.... to keep it real and , their kits always impress me. I just took a FG reading on the Honey Weizen I did, used 3056, and man it's tasting like a great summer beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkerdru View Post
We'll have a hell of a selection though!
That's for sure!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply