how long at 30 PSI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I cold crashed and kegged 5 gallons of beer last night. It is at normal refrigeration temps and i purged the keg and set it at 30 PSI and stuck it back in the fridge. This was at 7PM Last night. I need it ready for sat night. Am i right to leave it at 30 until about 7 tonight, then bleed the excess co2 and turn it down to 12 and leave it until sat?

I'd turn it down to serving pressure, and let it sit - should have no problem being ready by Saturday.

You could go 36-48 hours without much worry and then drop it to 9. check it by Wednesday. During this time (at 30psi) I usually pull it out of the fridge and shake the crap out of it with the co2 still connected. Might do that twice for 5-8 minutes. Haven't over carbed yet

I like leaving it at 30 PSI for 24 hours after the beer is already cold. If I add a warm keg, I go 36 hours to give the beer 12 hours to chill (under pressure). After that I let it sit at serving pressure for another day or so and it's usually pretty close to fully carbonated.

I like leaving it at 30 PSI for 24 hours after the beer is already cold. If I add a warm keg, I go 36 hours to give the beer 12 hours to chill (under pressure). After that I let it sit at serving pressure for another day or so and it's usually pretty close to fully carbonated.

I likes suds...

If you put it in last night warm, leave it for another 24 before dropping it down

it was cold

I'd go with 24 hours at 30 psi , and then set it at serving pressure until your party. Any longer than 24 hours at 30 PSI when cold and you risk overcarbing the beer. Keep in mind that the co2 enters from the top of the beer and you draw from the bottom, so even when the beer is carbonated on top, it may not have reached the bottom yet.

I've had beers that were perfectly carbonated under 30 PSI after longer than 24 hours (say 36), but even though I purged the pressure, were then subsequently overcarbonated a day or two later. It is my suspicion that it takes time for the dissolved co2 to equalize in the keg. As such, I try to lower it from 30 PSI to serving pressure when I believe it is about 75% carbonated.

well unfortunately I am NOT gonna be able to make the party (M gotta work) and am just sending the keg and serving equipment.. I hope #1 they don't break anything and #2 no one screws with the pressure setting.

Moving the keg will result in the yeast being stirred up and yeasty/cloudy beer for the first 1/3 of the keg. You can avoid this by pumping the clear beer from one keg to another if you desire.

Moving the keg will result in the yeast being stirred up and yeasty/cloudy beer for the first 1/3 of the keg. You can avoid this by pumping the clear beer from one keg to another if you desire.

it was cold crashed before kegging...still an issue?

I can lower the pressure and attach a cobra tap without moving the keg...might pull the first pint right where it sets.

Reviving this old thread. 24hrs at room temp in a kegerator @30psi, then drop to serving or 48hrs from room to drop in psi? I'm coming from the perspective of my very first kegging... I have it at 30 psi now and just shut the door.

The goddam stuff tastes like nectar of the gods at room temp and flat - I don't want to screw it up. :ban:

I may have had a happy accident on a 2 hr boil (fell asleep). Reserving my judgement until I taste carbonated.

Last edited:
Reviving this old thread. 24hrs at room temp in a kegerator @30psi, then drop to serving or 48hrs from room to drop in psi? I'm coming from the perspective of my very first kegging... I have it at 30 psi now and just shut the door.

The goddam stuff tastes like nectar of the gods at room temp and flat - I don't want to screw it up. :ban:

I may have had a happy accident on a 2 hr boil (fell asleep). Reserving my judgement until I taste carbonated.

Your serving this beer at room temp ?

cf87d59fa6948017cc015273812bb001.jpg

I cold crash, so beer starts cold in the keg. I do 36 hrs at 30 psi before dropping to serving/maintenance pressure. Since you started warm, your beer will take slightly longer to carbonate. 36 hours will definitely be safe (w.r.t. over carbing), and 48 should be ok. I wouldn't go any longer. The previous is for full kegs. With less than full kegs you need to stay at elevated pressure for proportionately shorter times.

Brew on :mug:

Starting from warm I do 48 hours then drop to serving pressure and it's drinkable at day 5, better at 7, best at 10.

Once I tried staying at 30 PSI for 4 days and it was overcarbed.

Thanks - think that's what I needed. 24hrs at 30psi and its just barely got carbonation. As for how good this batch is - I was already in the drink when I wrote that last night (end of the 1gal cider experiment - sigh... it was so damn good) - so I think that had something to do with my expectations. LOL

Aging for 10 days in the keg (chilled?) after 14+ fermentation days to take some of that edge off? I clearly need more kegs and more fermentation vessels if I'm going to drink 1-2 a day with the odd 3 beer night. With just the one keg, that's a 3 week cycle and running dry. Oy!

Good thing I'm really starting to love the process! :)

Back