The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Cass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long?

Just racked to my secondary, wondering how long before it starts fermenting in there. No sign of bubbling yet.

Cass

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You won't likely get the violent bubbling, etc. of the primary..it will be slow and subtle

Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

It may never bubble at all. The secondary isn't really for fermenting (which ideally has finished in the primary)--it's for clarification and bulk aging. It would probably be less confusing if it were called a clearing tank, or "bright tank" as it's known in commercial brewing lingo.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Lets get the terms straight first - homebrewers often refer to a "secondary fermenter" incorrectly. Clearing tank, conditioning tank, or bright tank are more appropriate terms if you are not repitching yeast and trying to actually further ferment your beer.

Ok, off my high horse - if your beer fermented out rather completely in the primary fermenter, it shouldn't restart fermentation after racking. Sometimes it will have a brief moment of activity in its new container because you roused the yeast into action during the transfer, and there is just a bit of fermentable material left in your beer, but that is not a true secondary fermentation.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My beers hardly ever ferment out anymore once I rack them. I typically let them finish completely in the primary, then move them over for clearing and aging (since they can stay in the second vessel for a long time without worry). Once I get around to it, I'll keg and carb (or bottle if it is something that needs a lot of time to condition).

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-28-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
cormi3r
Recipes 

Default Secondary fermenter???

Is it always necessary to use a secondary (or clearing/brightening/finishing tank)? Or is it mostly for clarity, presentation and/or enhancing flavor characters?

The reason I am asking is because I have read some threads here that have eluded to people bottling directly from the primary.

Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Primary: Apfelwein (EdWort's recipe)
Secondary: ~~ empty ~~
On Deck: Chocolate Cherry Stout or Irish Red
Bottled (conditioning):~~ nothing ~~
Bottled (drinking): Honey Brown Ale, Boddington's Clone (Pub Ale), Watermelon Ale
Planning: Palace Bitter
Consumed: Hefeweizen, Cheesy's Caramel Cream Ale

Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
Cass
Recipes 

Ok good, because it still hasn't had any action. It was done fermenting in the primary like 4 days ago, but I waited the entire week before racking to the secondary.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormi3r
Is it always necessary to use a secondary (or clearing/brightening/finishing tank)? Or is it mostly for clarity, presentation and/or enhancing flavor characters?
It's not necessary at all. You can make beers that are just fine without a secondary carboy. Most people here do use them, though. They do a good job of clearing up your brews. Also, if you rack after a week, there is much less chance of getting any off flavors from the beer sitting on the trub for too long.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

You can bottle from the fermenter. This means a lot more gunk in the bottles and longer settling times once bottled. It doesn't speed up the aging/conditioning process in the slightest, you still have to wait.

I keg from the fermenter, but I'll leave a batch in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Cass
Recipes 

Ok next question... since this is for clarifying, is it normal for my beer to be dark brown at first? I'm brewing an IPA which is supposed to be golden, but so far its just a dark brown. My wort was golden, but after the primary fermentation, my beer turned a dark brown. Is this normal?

Quick Reply