New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to lift a 16 gal brewpot to drain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
benfinkel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default How to lift a 16 gal brewpot to drain?

Hello,

My wife recently bought me a nice stove and brewpot for my b-day. Because she has a "bigger is always better" philosophy she got a 16 gallon pot instead of a much more reasonable (for us) 10 gallon.

I figure though since I've got it, I'll go ahead and do a 10 gallon batch of beer.

My first question though is: How do I get the pot up off the stove to drain into the buckets after boiling? I don't have a raised surface that I would be comfortable with the stove on, and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of lifting a 90 pound bucket of boiling wort up too high.

What do people generally do here?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

I would install a ball valve on that thing for sure. I wouldn't want to try to lift that full or wort, that's asking for disaster.

Just a side thought. Are you sure your stove has the power to boil 10+ gallons? You might consider getting a propane burner.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1308 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 2236

With a 5gal batch i'll siphon half before trying to dump it.
I would think that if the stove isn't a commercial unit it's not going to boil 10 gallons, you might try a test to find out before spending money on supplies and finding out you cant keep a rolling boil.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Definitely get a stainless steel ball valve. It's odd that it didn't come with one, honestly.

You could siphon but the ball valve will help keep sediment on the bottom of the brew kettle when you rack it.

What do you mean by "stove"? You aren't boiling 13 gallons of water on a conventional stove.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
benfinkel
Recipes 

Sorry, should have been more specific:

She got me a nice propane stove along with the pot. A Bayou Classic sp10 that I believe will boil all of that and more. The reason I had stopped brewing was boiling in our tiny kitchen was too cumbersome and messy for us. She basically moved me outdoors.

The pot she bought me is also a BC. The model with the probe thermometer and ball-valve spigot.

But either way, spigot or siphon, the pot needs to be above the level of the fermenting buckets yes? It's getting it up that high that I'm having trouble getting my head around.

Thanks again,

-Ben

Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1308 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 2236

Oh, and don't forget work boils at a higher temp than water

Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
benfinkel
Recipes 

Also, I'm not afraid to spend a few dollars to get the right setup, but I'm not overloaded with space. If I got a table or bench to put the stove and pot on I'd be happier if it could fold up or be put away easily. Also, most of those that I see are plastic and I'd be afraid of melting the thing.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

Good to hear it already has the ball valve and you have a propane burner. For a long time I had an 8 gallon kettle and propane burner that I would setup on top of a folding plastic table. I did put a half sheet of plywood under the burner to keep the heat off the plastic. Not sure if I would trust a plastic table moving up to 10 gallon batches though. Maybe construct a small platform from wood that would get you high enough, or some cinder blocks...just make sure it's stable.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
benfinkel
Recipes 

I thought about cinders. Wouldn't need to be too high since the stove has a good rise to it as well. I've got a bunch hanging around that I could stack up to boil on, then disassemble and move out of the driveway when I was done. Adds a fair amount of manual labor to the process but might be the safest/most convenient way to go.

Quick Reply