How important is temp. after primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I know keeping a constant temperature for fermentation is important, but what about after primary fermentation has completed and is racked to the secondary? It probably wouldn't be good if the temp went into the upper 70's, but how important is a constant temp. at this stage?

you still do not want it to get excessivly warm, I usually put mine in the basement or garage where depending on the time of the year it could be 50 or up to low 60's

not in your secondary. You can also check the yeast manufacturers website and see exactly what the temp range is for each different yeast. Some will do great in lower temps. As a general rule of thumb, keeping it at or near the lower side of the temperature range will result in a cleaner beer with less chance of off flavors.

Thats probably fine with an ale yeast, as long as you aren't constantly at like 75-80º

Like Superior said each yeast will have different recommended ranges for fermentation, and different aromas, fusel alcohols etc at different temps.

Back