HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How important is it to leave lid off during boiling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
MaxPower49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How important is it to leave lid off during boiling?

Made my first batch last week and it is still in the primary now. I’m reading How to Brew now and I just saw where he recommends to leave the lid off during boiling to let some things escape and avoid off flavors. How important is this? I left the lid on or slightly cracked most of the time mainly because my stove had a hard time to keep a rolling boil with the lid off. Is my beer going to taste funny?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
MrShake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Assuming you used extract and not all-grain, you will be fine!! the DMS that people worry about has already been boiled off during the manufacture of the extract.

MrShake - Top Hat Brewery

Project Links: Electric HERMS | Wet Bar

Primary - Air
On Commercial Tap - Sam Adam's Octoberfest
On Tap 2 - Air
On Tap 3 - Air
On Tap 4 - Easy English Mild
On Tap 5 - Air

Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShake View Post
Assuming you used extract and not all-grain, you will be fine!! the DMS that people worry about has already been boiled off during the manufacture of the extract.
Not entirely true. DMS will still be produced as long as it's above 140, although not as much as an all grain batch.

If I'm doing stovetop I leave it covered until I get a good boil and then remove. There's a potential for DMS here but I doubt you'll have problems.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
MaxPower49
Recipes 

Thanks... it is an extract batch so hopefully I'll be ok.

Quick Reply