Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How hard is it to use a glass carboy as a primary for my first batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
agreen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How hard is it to use a glass carboy as a primary for my first batch?

I am currently a home brew noob in training. I am getting my kit and ingredients tomorrow for Christmas and breaking it out ASAP. I have probably over researched the entire process and was wondering if the extra work it takes to use a glass carboy as my primary would be worth the effort. Keep in mind this will be my very first batch and don't want to make this too challenging. However I am very determined to make something tasty right out of the gate. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks Fellas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Butter
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It's not hard at all to use a glass carboy. Just don't drop it. I've had mine for 15 yrs and haven't had an issue. Don't know who told you they're hard to use or whatever.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not hard at all. Get a handle or, better yet, put it where you're fermenting before you put the wort in. I find it much easier to carry 5.5 gallons in an aluminum pot with handles than in a (slippery?) glass carboy.

There are a couple commercial options for handles, or, I have seen people use commercial-grade milk crates. They are very sturdy, have handles, and can keep objects from bumping against your carboy.

ALSO: NO HOT WORT IN GLASS. The thermal shock will break the glass and you will lose all your beer and risk serious injury from glass lacerations.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I would also use a blow off tube instead of an air lock for the first few days. I use a 1" vinyl hose with a stan san soaked rag wrapped abound it and the carboy neck....other end goes in a 1 gallon bucket of weak stan san solution. You can also use 3/8" tubing stuck over the inside of the air lock stem (with the "hat" removed).

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
agreen
Recipes 

Sounds good. I'll prob just start off with the carboy then. Thanks for all the pointers.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
hawgwild81
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I started off using plastic buckets and switched to glass. Now I'm back to buckets since I just had surgery to repair the nerve and tendon I cut in my finger when I was cleaning the carboy. No I wasn't drunk...I hadn't even had a beer. I know it was just one of those freak accidents, but the risk isn't worth it to me. And to be honest, the beers that I fermented in the buckets were just as good as the ones that were in the carboy. I like being able to monitor my fermentation which is why I stuck with glass. In the near future I will probably try a better bottle for the same reason.

image-2258351486.jpg  

Old 12-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Glass is great. I have 1 glass fermenter and 3 plastic ones. The glass is 15 years old, the plastic ones are 30 years old. I prefer the glass.

Some cautions come with using glass, and all point to 'don't break it'.

- It is heavy. Once you have liquid in it, do not move it very far, and be very careful.
- When cleaning, take care. It is big and awkward. It will only fit in my laundry sink (6.5 gallon).
- Don't pour hot liquids straight into it.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #8
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I have three glass carboys myself. I have had them all for about 10 years. I'm sure I'm pushing my luck with them though.

I am as absolutely as ridiculously careful as I can be with them. However, that certainly doesn't preclude me from being sliced wide from one of them on some freak 'oops'.

Oh and +1 for the blow off tube suggestion! Depending on what you are brewing, things can go 'oops' to 'holy ****' in a hurry. Always a good idea to start off with a blow off tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 12-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
AaronMaine
Recipes 

I just finished my first brew ever and had no problem using glass carboys. A bit heavy and awkward, but no huge difficulty. I enjoyed being able to watch the fermentation take place. Quite a remarkable thing to watch for the first time.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #10
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Other than the risk of being severely injured, there is no reason why you can't use glass. In fact, I used glass for both primary and secondary before "it" happened. I read a lot about infections from tiny scratches in plastic, so I was afraid to use it. When a carboy breaks, chances are that you'll have much more than a tiny scratch. I'm still getting used to my permanent stranger.

(I have almost no feeling in my right hand from a broken carboy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Quick Reply