Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to handle too-low temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Kozzer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default How to handle too-low temps

For someone like me who can't get a temp-controlled mini fridge, summer was easy to understand, if a bit tedious - when your ferm temp is getting higher than you like, throw some ice or frozen water bottles into the swamp cooler to bring the temp down. Repeat forever.

Now I've got the opposite problem. I like to keep my house at about 60 or lower on the thermostat, but that means that my fermentor is always slowly cooling to below the yeast's ideal temp range. Being that the weather just cooled off where I am, I'm reacting by putting hot water into the swamp cooler. Now, is this the best approach, or is there some other way to keep the fermentor warmer (~65-70F) without all the constant temp adjustments?

Along the same lines, does lower than 70 temps affect bottle conditioning & carbonation? If the bottles get down to about 60, will they still carb OK, or do I need to ensure warmer temps for those as well?

Slightly unrelated, since my house is generally at 52 or so in the winter (hate high gas bills), that's right in the temp wheelhouse of lager yeast, right? So other than lower temps, what are the differences in making lagers vs ales? I take it the fermentation time is longer, but how much longer?

Batch #22 ~ Mosaic SMaSH [AG] ~ Brewed 5/4 ~ consuming

Batch #23 ~ Summer Solstice IPA (Centennial/Amarillo/Mosaic) [AG] ~ Brewed 5/18 ~ bottle conditioning

Batch #24 ~ Nutty Brunette Nut Brown Ale [AG] ~ Brewed 6/7 ~ primary fermentation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
spark_plug
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well ales will definitely take longer, they usually like it 66 or better. But they will still work though. Bottle carbing will certainly take longer as well. A good option would be to make yourself a fermentation chamber, keep the gas bill down and a small space heater that is thermostat controlled would likely do well for you. If you have the space a closet would be perfect, and you could bottle condition in there as well.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 719 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 50

You'll be fine at 60 and most ales will have no problem at all at that temp. Many yeast strains do just fine under the "ideal" temp. The temp rise will even push the temp into the low mid 60s at that temp.

In the winter try using yeasts like Kolsch or Scottish ale because they like to be in the 50s.

People Like This 
Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

At 60, I would pitch ale yeast in the 63-64 range and wrap it in a blanket or sleeping bag. That should insulate it until the yeast starts adding its own heat. You can likely remove the insulation on day 2 once the temps start to rise. I would get a weather thermometer probe stuck to the side of the fermenter (with paper towels and tape to insulate).

Agree with Jon above, Kolsch yeast (WY2565) loves to ferment in the 56-59 F range. You do need to pitch a large starter though.

As far as lagers go, I would chill to 48F for most strains, and pitch a LARGE starter (think big here, 3.5-4L or so for moderate sub 1.055 OG lagers). Then try to chill in swamp cooler to keep at 48 or so. The other lager trick is usually in timing. You want to watch the fermentation closely, and when it has fermented approximately 80% of the sugar, you want to rise into upper 50's for 48 hours for a diacetyl rest. My D-rests come between 1 and 1.5 weeks of primary. Then you want to chill into the mid 30's for lagering. Generally a 6-10 week lagering process depending on gravity. You can do this in the bottle, but you should bottle carb first, which does not get you quite the same crisp clean result. Still should be a fine beer though. I do recommend trying at least one lager, its fun and a little more challenging.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Empty
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale, 2H IPA
Kozzer Likes This 
Old 10-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Kozzer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark_plug View Post
Well ales will definitely take longer, they usually like it 66 or better. But they will still work though. Bottle carbing will certainly take longer as well. A good option would be to make yourself a fermentation chamber, keep the gas bill down and a small space heater that is thermostat controlled would likely do well for you. If you have the space a closet would be perfect, and you could bottle condition in there as well.
Unfortunately in my tiny house, I do not even have that much room. The hope is to move within 9 months to a year, and you better believe a "must have" for the next place will be a room just for all this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You'll be fine at 60 and most ales will have no problem at all at that temp. Many yeast strains do just fine under the "ideal" temp. The temp rise will even push the temp into the low mid 60s at that temp.

In the winter try using yeasts like Kolsch or Scottish ale because they like to be in the 50s.
Sounds good - I was looking at a Scotch Ale as my next batch anyway, so that works out. The porter I just brewed yesterday is using London Ale yeast, which has an ideal temp range of 65-72. I'll just do my best to keep it at or a little above 65, at least for the next few days.

Thanks guys!

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
At 60, I would pitch ale yeast in the 63-64 range and wrap it in a blanket or sleeping bag. That should insulate it until the yeast starts adding its own heat. You can likely remove the insulation on day 2 once the temps start to rise. I would get a weather thermometer probe stuck to the side of the fermenter (with paper towels and tape to insulate).

Agree with Jon above, Kolsch yeast (WY2565) loves to ferment in the 56-59 F range. You do need to pitch a large starter though.

As far as lagers go, I would chill to 48F for most strains, and pitch a LARGE starter (think big here, 3.5-4L or so for moderate sub 1.055 OG lagers). Then try to chill in swamp cooler to keep at 48 or so. The other lager trick is usually in timing. You want to watch the fermentation closely, and when it has fermented approximately 80% of the sugar, you want to rise into upper 50's for 48 hours for a diacetyl rest. Then you want to chill into the mid 30's for lagering. Generally a 6-10 week lagering process depending on gravity. You can do this in the bottle, but you should bottle carb first, which does not get you quite the same crisp clean result. Still should be a fine beer though. I do recommend trying at least one lager, its fun and a little more challenging.
Awesome info, thanks! Sounds like lagering is still out of my ability due to the mid 30's requirement. I guess lagers will have to wait til I can get a temp controlled fridge.

Batch #23 ~ Summer Solstice IPA (Centennial/Amarillo/Mosaic) [AG] ~ Brewed 5/18 ~ bottle conditioning

Batch #24 ~ Nutty Brunette Nut Brown Ale [AG] ~ Brewed 6/7 ~ primary fermentation

Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Fish Aquarium Heater=$20 @ Walmart, use it in your swamp cooler, set it and forget it.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

People Like This 
Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Kozzer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Fish Aquarium Heater=$20 @ Walmart, use it in your swamp cooler, set it and forget it.

Cheers
Fo' realz? That sounds like an awesome solution!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
tugbucket
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In the winter, get a submersible fish tank heater. Mine was ~$20. Can be set from like 60-88 degrees.

In the summer, since your place is warm, just make saisons

Old 10-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 719 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I found this thread particularly enlightening:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wyeast-1214-abbey-ale-yeast-temperature-question-433836/

Check out Denny's comments about the manufacturer's recommended temps sometimes being too high.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Kozzer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I found this thread particularly enlightening:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wyeast-1214-abbey-ale-yeast-temperature-question-433836/

Check out Denny's comments about the manufacturer's recommended temps sometimes being too high.
Thanks! For the porter, I used the London Ale 1028, and on the package it said 65-72, but because of what Denny was saying I checked Wyeast's website and it says 60-72 there which makes me feel better about the batch's current temp. Still gonna get me one of those aquarium heaters.

Quick Reply