Winner drawn in the Spike Brewing Giveaway - 24 hours to Claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to go about conditioning?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
BrewSmith19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to go about conditioning?

I was curious as to the stages everyone uses to ferment their beer (not necessarily how long but that's good to know too). For example, should the wort be put into a plastic pail for primary and then put into a glass carboy for secondary or could I just leave it in the Carboy for both and only transfer to bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It depends on the beer. I don't bottle, but the process really doesn't change. I don't use a secondary because I think it unnecessary, and don't like to handle my beer any more than is necessary. So for most of my beers I'll ferment (usually about a week), then let the beer sit on the yeast for another week or so (diacetyl rest). Sometimes I'll then cold crash for a few days, before kegging. I leave it in the keg for a week for carbonation and some additional conditioning.

Primary: Empty :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Pumpkin Saison, Amber Ale, Scottish Strong Ale
Planned: IPA

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
mamies
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I generally leave my beer in the primary for 3 weeks. If the beer requires dry hopping I then rack to secondary and dry hop for a week or so and cold crash for a week or so.

The only reason I use secondary to dry hop is because I re use my yeasi usually then keg and leave Sunday it for a coupke more weeks before drink it.

It mainly has to do with the style tho

Old 04-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
gcdowd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Primary 2-3 weeks, age in keg for another 2-6 weeks, depending on OG and style

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2522 Times on 2198 Posts
Likes Given: 1813

Mine average about 3 weks to hit FG,clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle carb & condition at 70 or a bit more for 3-4 weeks. Then fridge time for at least a week to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

I harvest the yeast and reuse so I secondary after a week. Depending on how much I have been drinking it will set in the secondary for a week or three. I bottle it and keep it warm for a month or two then store in the cellar at 50 degree for another month and then drink it up

Having a big pipeline is a good thing.

Quick Reply