Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how to get what i want outta my beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
kreese
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how to get what i want outta my beer

I just started fermenting my fiirst batch and I'm trying to start my next one asap... I want to ?aybe add something to give it a hint of something maybe tangerine or something along those lines only a hint though I don't wanna flavor it any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What kinda beer is it?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fruit can be a difficult thing in beer. By that I mean, too much and that will be all that you taste, too little and you wont taste it at all. I've made a several batches (one with apples and 2 with blueberries). I find the best method is to use whole fruit for a week or so in the secondary and then once it's done, taste and add a little bit of extract to get the flavor that you want. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaylor View Post
fruit can be a difficult thing in beer. By that i mean, too much and that will be all that you taste, too little and you wont taste it at all. I've made a several batches (one with apples and 2 with blueberries). I find the best method is to use whole fruit for a week or so in the secondary and then once it's done, taste and add a little bit of extract to get the flavor that you want. Hope this helps.

Cheers
+1

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2
Primary 3 - Belgium Triple
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout, ESB, Belgium Light.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're looking for a fresh citrus flavor, I would recommend using some orange and/or lemon zest at the end of the boil - this gives a really nice aroma and flavor. Also, many hops will give you that sort of citrusy note as well - Amarillo comes to mind immediately. Cascade, Citra, Centennial and others are excellent added late and/or dry hopped.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
kreese
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaylor View Post
Fruit can be a difficult thing in beer. By that I mean, too much and that will be all that you taste, too little and you wont taste it at all. I've made a several batches (one with apples and 2 with blueberries). I find the best method is to use whole fruit for a week or so in the secondary and then once it's done, taste and add a little bit of extract to get the flavor that you want. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Ok cool thanks I don't really know a whole lot about brewing could you explain more about the whole fruit in the secondary? Does that mean you litterally peel the fruit and let it sit in the container with the beer during the secondary fermentation?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I do secondaries on the odd occasion I use Corny kegs. The last fruit beer was a blueberry porter. I used 2lbs of fresh/smashed blueberries for about 10 days. The were wrapped in cheese cloth. I still had to add about an ounce of extract.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Why don't you try summit hops they have a tangerine aroma/flavor orden just so me tangerine zest or both

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 04-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
Why don't you try summit hops they have a tangerine aroma/flavor orden just so me tangerine zest or both
You need to be careful with Summit hops. Instead of tangerine you can get onion and garlic flavors - not sure if it is related to the specific batches/years or how much you use or when you use them. I tried them in an APA a couple of years back and had onion beer instead - the only beer I ever dumped (after giving it plenty of time in the bottles to see if it would age out). I think Summit can be good, but I would suggest making sure you like the way they smell raw, before putting them in the boil. If you don't, don't use them.

I still think you should go with the zest of some lemons and oranges - I suppose tangerine, though I've never tried that - and some citrusy American hops.

My Beer Cellar

Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem

You need to be careful with Summit hops. Instead of tangerine you can get onion and garlic flavors - not sure if it is related to the specific batches/years or how much you use or when you use them. I tried them in an APA a couple of years back and had onion beer instead - the only beer I ever dumped (after giving it plenty of time in the bottles to see if it would age out). I think Summit can be good, but I would suggest making sure you like the way they smell raw, before putting them in the boil. If you don't, don't use them.

I still think you should go with the zest of some lemons and oranges - I suppose tangerine, though I've never tried that - and some citrusy American hops.
I heard about te onion/garlic issue described from some homebrewers using summit hops A few friends of mine have try them without any problems and i have an all late hop summit APA that smells great in secondary.

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Quick Reply