Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to get a long, sweet finish in beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
nigel31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to get a long, sweet finish in beer?

Hi,

I'll be brewing up the Norther Brewer Wee Heavy kit very soon and will be adding grade-b maple syrup to the secondary; possibly some at flameout (after the boil) as well. I'm looking for very sweet and very mapley brew.

Would it be better to add it to the kettle, to the primary, or to the secondary to get a sweeter, more maple-forward brew?

I've heard that honey and/or maple syrup can sometimes contribute to a a "dry" finish in a beer. I want to be certain to get a sweet finish, and one as long as possible--not a dry one.

Any suggestions or experiences you can share?

Big thanks!
Nige

Last edited by nigel31; 01-03-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Wording change.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The easiest way would be adding at flameout. If adding to the secondary I would heat it up to pasteurize it before pitching. The purpose of adding it to the secondary would be to avoid having the primary fermentation scrubbing out aroma qualities but really don't know if that's a concern with maple syrup.

I know Danstar Windsor yeast will keep it sweet. I bought some for the first time a couple months ago and brewed my last 6 batches with it. What I don't know is how well it's character will go with your beer. No doubt it finishes sweet but I found it fruity, a little sour and yeasty.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
impatient
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are trying to preserve the sweetness of the adjunct that you are adding, it won't happen unless you kill the yeast.

If you want a sweet finish, like with SA Cherry Wheat, then you will have to add an artificial sweetener that the yeast will not feast upon.

I have tried adding honey and syrup with bad results. Both times it turned hoochy with a hot alcohol finish.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient View Post
If you are trying to preserve the sweetness of the adjunct that you are adding, it won't happen unless you kill the yeast.
This is the truth. Of course, if you don't ferment the syrup at all, you don't need very much to impart the flavor and sweetness. Unfortunately I can't comment on the amount, but since the yeast is dead when you add it you can always sweeten to taste.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Maple is really nasty without some sweetness and, as mentioned, the sugars will ferment out. You'd have to backsweeten with lactose or another unfermentable sweetener.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

+1 on the Lactose...yeasties won't ferment it and it will leave some sweetness behind.

Quick Reply