Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how to get a higher abv%

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #21
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Yes, anything on draft or sold in a grocery store can not exceed 4% ABV. or 3.2% ABW (Utah measures it by weight).
Guess that must be Utah and a few other states. Russian River's Pliny t E is 8% on tap.. Their Belgian Damnation is like 10+% and Mortification is about 11%.

Bear Republic's Black Bear Stout is about 8%..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
sick-cadaver
Recipes 

Thanks for all the replys . Yea I was just trying to make sure I was right about how to raise the abv. I am a new guy and I plan to make great beer lol well atleast try my hardest so any helpful words are great. And I like beer with a higher abv it puts a taste on ur lips extra character . Here in Baltimore we have a good selection of craft beer and most with high abv.so after a while u get used to it u grow a tolerance for high abv. Or Mabey its from the arrogant and lucky bastard I love to drink so much \m/ but what ever it is like u said we all diffrent with diffrent taste .but I don't think a ipa with low abv is a ipa (my opinion) a ipa needs that extra push I thinly lol .. thanxs guys for the teaching

Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painty View Post
Can Malts increase ABV ? Doing a longer boil to extract more natural sugars? Just curious.
Just a note - boiling does not extract more natural sugars. Boiling coagulates proteins and extracts alpha acids from hops. It also caramelizes some of the sugars, which makes them less fermentable. It doesn't increase the amount of sugar (though as previously pointed out it reduces volume which may concentrate them unless you top off at the end).

Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #24
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Yes, anything on draft or sold in a grocery store can not exceed 4% ABV. or 3.2% ABW (Utah measures it by weight).

Does it suck? Sometimes, but we know we can go to a brewery after work and have a multiple beers with friends and not be drunk. Like having a session beer. And if we want higher % we buy bottled stuff at breweries or liquor stores.
So I guess that means that you have a pretty poor selection of beers on tap there. I guess some of the cheap light beers (coors light, miller lite, etc.) may qualify.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #25
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Coors, bud and miller are are 4.2% abv, can't even get that! I guess at 2.8% you could get yourself some MGD 64 lite! Poor utah
I guess the big breweries could always just add more water to their beer and it would be exceptable then.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
So I guess that means that you have a pretty poor selection of beers on tap there. I guess some of the cheap light beers (coors light, miller lite, etc.) may qualify.
Not true. I was out there last year and had quite a few good local beers. If you are looking for specific beers you are accustomed to out of the state, you are SOL, but if you are open minded you'll enjoy what you find.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #27
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

On the bright side, breweries grain bills should be way cheaper which should lower their cost a bit.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #28
NOISEpollution
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-cadaver
I am a new guy and I plan to make great beer lol well atleast try my hardest so any helpful words are great.
Don't worry, you'll get there. It took me a couple batches before I was able to brew anything drinkable and quite a few before I brewed anything I'd consider great. Learning from your mistakes is the only way to get there. Every time you brew you'll realize something you did wrong and the next time you'll be able to fix it. Read as much as you can and, as boring as the scientific stuff may seem, it's very important to understand what exactly is going on. Learn about the different styles and work on them as much as you can until you perfect them. Take notes because the best part of brewing comes when you formulate your own recipes. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #29
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:

Does it suck? Sometimes, but we know we can go to a brewery after work and have a multiple beers with friends and not be drunk. Like having a session beer. And if we want higher % we buy bottled stuff at breweries or liquor stores.
I've read the law and it does say over 4% ABV is 'strong beer.' It's difficult to make a good 4% IPA. It comes out like hop water--I've tried. 7% is where I like it. 1.070 and 70 IBU.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #30
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Drinking in Utah is a unique experience....In some cases you can't get a beer without also getting food....then I ordered a "Stong Beer", all 4 or 5% of it, and had to sit in a different part of the bar/restaurant to drink it because it was "strong"....I was like "What?, Really? are you just messing with me because I'm from California??"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply