Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How fast to run water in wort chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Strangelove
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How fast to run water in wort chiller?

Howdy,

I have a stainless chiller. Should I: a.) run the water fast to keep the water in the chiller colder or b.) run slower to increase heat transfer time and save water?

Thanks

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
beerisambrosia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove
Howdy,

I have a stainless chiller. Should I: a.) run the water fast to keep the water in the chiller colder or b.) run slower to increase heat transfer time and save water?

Thanks
I'd run the water fast, assuming I can dispose of the extra water easily or reuse it. You'd use less water with a copper chiller.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay...I'll spend 2 months worth of water bill money to switch to a copper one. Thanks.

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
JamesM
Recipes 

nice and slow, you're just gonna waste water if you run it fast. where on earth did you get a stainless chiller???

Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
Cimerian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Faster would increase the heat transfer rate. Rate of heat transfer = Massflow rate*specific heat capacity*difference in temp. Increasing mass flow fate would therefore increase rate of heat transfer. It will decrease your differential temp but the offset would be made up with total rate of heat transfer. Either way try a few batches and I bet you don't see more than a few minutes difference between start time and end time no matter how you do it. The major factor is the UA of the heat exchanger which you can not change.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Isn't the heat transfer coefficient of copper something like 10x-30x higher than that of stainless steel? I just remember the demo in my physics class back in college where the SS rod in a flame was still cool to the touch at the other end, about 12 inches away.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Cimerian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
Isn't the heat transfer coefficient of copper something like 10x-30x higher than that of stainless steel? I just remember the demo in my physics class back in college where the SS rod in a flame was still cool to the touch at the other end, about 12 inches away.
Doesn't matter what c is it is a constant as it is not changing in the equation. But yes copper has a much higher heat transfer coefficient than stainless.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you want to save time (quickest cooling), run the water as fast as you can.
If you want to save water, run it slow.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
If you want to save time (quickest cooling), run the water as fast as you can.
If you want to save water, run it slow.
Hit the nail on the head with that one. Strangelove your question kind of answered itself, it is your choice whether you want to save time or water

Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #10
FastEddie212
Recipes 

Sounds as though a few responders know the finer details of heat transfer. Can anyone comment on the effects of slowing the flow rate by dampening down the outflow side? I had some experience years ago with an electric instant hot water heater that continued to blow heating elements. I braised in a shutoff valve on the outflow side to build pressure around the element and never blew another element. I put a shutoff on my homemade chiller ad choke down the flow. I find the discharge water to be hotter and the cooling time shorter than just running water at full flow. Any one have any experience or knowledge about this??

Quick Reply