Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How easy is it to oxidize my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Berlbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How easy is it to oxidize my beer?

The other day I was transferring my Milk Stout to a secondary and all of the sudden my auto-siphon started spewing bubbles that were seemingly coming from nowhere. I think the rubber ring around the piece that fits inside the larger tube was loose and it was sucking air from the top of the siphon somehow. It's still kind of a mystery, but the point is that the Milk Stout flowing through the siphon got blasted with some pretty serious air bubbles. It didn't happen the entire time but in a few random bursts so my question is what is the actual risk of oxidization? Would some air bubbles in the siphon during transfer cause oxidization? I certainly hope not but input is welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

From my experience, it's pretty hard to oxidize beer. I've even had the same thing happen as you did and kept the beer for over a year with no noticeable effects. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That happens to me all the time, you just gotta learn to watch for it and pinch the tubing when the siphon starts. Like the previous poster said though, it's VERY hard to oxidize your beer. You mainly don't wanna be splashing it around post-boil but pre-chilling. I've had all sorts of accidents happened with my beer splashing as I've transferred it and never really had an issue with oxidation. I think the only oxidized beer I've ever had was the first beer I ever did, a Nut Brown, after drinking it over a year later...it didn't taste too grand.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
Bacchus
Recipes 

Oxidation is only an issue if you're going to be storing (cellaring) your beer for very long periods. At the rate at which most homebrewers consume their beer....usually under six months.....it's a non-issue.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
stedtale
Recipes 

+1 to Bacchus

Plus, I think www.basicbrewingradio.com has an episode on oxidation. If you don't podcast basic brewing radio, I highly recommend it - I heard Revvy quoted on it the other day, so you know it must be good.

Future Brews: Something Belgian...dubbel...anyone got a good one?
Primary: Irish Red Ale
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Kölsch, Creamy Ginger Ale

Quick Reply