Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how to drink a 12 oz beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
yewtah-brewha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default how to drink a 12 oz beer

I know this sounds a little stupid, but I have been unsucsessful at getting the desired carbonation in my 12 oz bottles. I have tried bulk priming and single priming and I opened a bottle last night that was bottled on 12-1 so it was 30 plus days carbing. It diddnt seem to be as carbonated as commercial beer. Should I

1. shake it before opening
    1. do nothing and open it and pour
  1. add more priming sugar at bottling stage
I either use 1/2 tsp if single priming or 5 oz to a 5 gallon batch. Id like to hear what you say.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

5 oz of corn sugar to a 4-5 gallon batch has not failed yet through 4 batches.

I am using EZ cap swing top bottles. Are your bottles sealed?

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

never shake it, i havent bottled in a while since moving to kegs im sure it 3/4 cup corn sugar with 1/4 cup water for 5 gallons bring to boil and add during bottling. Wait 2 weeks in a 70 degree place and it should be done.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro55 View Post
5 oz of corn sugar to a 4-5 gallon batch has not failed yet through 4 batches.

I am using EZ cap swing top bottles. Are your bottles sealed?
I wonder that, I use a wing style capper and have a hammer capper, It seems I get a better seal with the hammer capper, but I thank you for that idea. I might buy a few and experiment. On occasion. I see some of my capped beers have sweat on the inside glass in the dead space. I will pay closer attention to this.

I gave my brother-in-law one the other day, He poured it and it looked awsome and he said it tasted awsome. I was jealouse. he must have got a good sealed one. It even had a decent amount of head which is what Ive been aiming for.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBeerGuy View Post
never shake it, i havent bottled in a while since moving to kegs im sure it 3/4 cup corn sugar with 1/4 cup water for 5 gallons bring to boil and add during bottling. Wait 2 weeks in a 70 degree place and it should be done.
Whats the reason for not shaking, I noticed people that carb into 2 liter's will shake it.HMM

Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Are you talking carbonation or foam/head retention? If bubbles continue to form and dissipate as you drink the beer, that probably means it is carbonated juts fine but it is dissipating quickly. I've read comments in numerous threads suggesting that residual detergent on glassware can cause this problem. I've even done the cheap-o test on a couple early batches of mine when I thought I had this same problem.

Try getting some plastic party cups (solo cups) and pouring a beer in one. give it a fairly vigorous pour to create a solid head. See if it sticks around for a bit. Then, when you are ready for your second beer, give a similar pour in one of your normal glasses. See if it has a different result.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
Are you talking carbonation or foam/head retention? If bubbles continue to form and dissipate as you drink the beer, that probably means it is carbonated juts fine but it is dissipating quickly. I've read comments in numerous threads suggesting that residual detergent on glassware can cause this problem. I've even done the cheap-o test on a couple early batches of mine when I thought I had this same problem.

Try getting some plastic party cups (solo cups) and pouring a beer in one. give it a fairly vigorous pour to create a solid head. See if it sticks around for a bit. Then, when you are ready for your second beer, give a similar pour in one of your normal glasses. See if it has a different result.
Deffinatly food for thought, I use cipton for cleaner and iodine for sanitizer, I wonder if this has any effect! there are 3 brew shops in town 1 guy swears by the iodine and the others swear by Iodophor and starsan, mabey ill try a new sanitiser too!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewtah-brewha View Post
Whats the reason for not shaking, I noticed people that carb into 2 liter's will shake it.HMM
Try it. In fact, go do it right now and then give us a range report.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Try it. In fact, go do it right now and then give us a range report.

Rick
I have tried it, all it seems to do is mix the priming sugar in the bottom with the rest of the beer, It tastes no different and if anything is a little more carbed!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

You don't shake cause all that stuff at the bottom of beer is yeast and hop/grain fallout and things like that. Not stuff that's bad if you drink it but will change the flavor of the beer and may make things move south a little faster

Quick Reply