The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how does this look for a IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
kylevester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceL View Post
Why would a dry hop be a waste of money? Aroma plays a big role in the overall experience, especially with IPA's and IIPA's. To each his own, but I would definitely dry hop this. I just wouldn't be satisfied myself without that big aroma. To the OP, I do agree that something seems like it might be off with your volumes...
Partially personal opinion. I don't care if my IPA or PA are putting off lots of odorous compounds.

The other part is that in my experience you need to use 3x the hops the LHBS gives you to get good aromatics from dry hopping. Thus saving the money.

And then, by using FWH and loading up on late additions, like in this case combining all those .25 oz additions into one large 2 oz addition at 20 minutes, you get more bang for the buck. If you're going for hop flavor and aroma, then don't boil off all that!

And BYO's most recent edition had an article about hops and how the aroma gets sucked up by the oxygen scavenger caps, as per a professional brewer. And my experience has confirmed this. My brother brewed a Two-Hearted clone in a 10 gallon batch back in March. I was just up there a week ago and it tasted pretty fresh out of the keg. Bottles of the same brew (different vintage) after 6 months were terrible and lacking in hop flavor and aroma.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #12
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Holy cow, no! Dryhop ANY IPA or IIPA. You can bottle an IPA and IIPA just fine, but don't age them. They are meant to be drunk fresh.
Indeed drink fresh for IPA and PA!

But, it's not a requirement to dry hop them. By switching to FWH and late additions, you can avoid the dry hops and save overall. Seriously, I haven't dry hopped any IPA for a year and if I gave you a sample I'm betting you couldn't tell.

EDIT:

And another thing...

For competitions I've entered, I've had IPAs that were dry hopped with 3 oz or more where I was told to dry hop more. I've been told to use more of a particular hop when that has been the predominant hop. And I've seen reviews of a brew that was all a single hop told to use more of that hop to balance the other hop flavor. So, yeah.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #13
cwilliamsccn
Recipes 

I don't bottle anymore, as for dry hopping I like the aroma and think its important in my IIPA i just noticed the funky water volumes beersmith created so I will go adjust that and see where it leaves me. I agree I should move up some of the C's to 15-20 additions I will repost with my final recipe later and results in a few weeks. Cheers.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
cwilliamsccn
Recipes 

updated.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
cwilliamsccn
Recipes 

Brewed today. hit all targets for the first time ever, was shooting for 75 and got it right on. 1.076 OG for beersmith says 112% measured efficiency not sure why? maybe because my volumes were right on too?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
cwilliamsccn
Recipes 

Kegged it today, FG was 1.014 it really.doesn't seem like 100 ibu's its not fully carbed but still seems lower on bitterness.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #17
cwilliamsccn
Recipes 

And for dry hops I did 4oz Amarillo and 2oz Simcoe.. smells great

Quick Reply