Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how does blow-off affect taste of beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default how does blow-off affect taste of beer?

If there a difference in beer if the blow-off goes out a blow-off tube, versus using a larger fermentation container and letting it settle back into the beer?

What do commercial beers do?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
HickoryMike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The difference is that a completely sealed fermenter will blow up. This has a terrible effect on the beer.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oops I didn't mean sealed, I meant the difference between having a bunch of krausen leave the fermenter through a blow-off tube, and having it stay there and go back down because the fermenter is large enough to contain it all.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You'll lose some bitterness to the blowoff. Worse, you'll lose some beer.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
eljefe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I also believe there is a risk (perhaps small at best) that the krausen clogs the blow off tube which leads back to HickoryMike's statement.

Primary 1: Wee Heavy
Primary 2:
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Northern Brew #1
Keg 2: 11.11.11
Next Up: Bourbonator

Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
You'll lose some bitterness to the blowoff. Worse, you'll lose some beer.
No, bittering only occurs in the boil.
Yes

Most commercial operations use a blow-off of some sort, unless they are doing open fermentation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
No, bittering only occurs in the boil.
Yes

Most commercial operations use a blow-off of some sort, unless they are doing open fermentation.
Hop alpha acids are only isomerized in the boil to become bittering iso-alphas, but it's wrong to assume that you can't lose iso-alphas post-boil. At least, according to Palmer, yeast can force as much as 40% of dissolved iso-alphas to precipitate. According to Daniels, blow-off can result in losses of up to to 15% total iso-alphas.

I think you're confusing "blow-off" with standard airlock offgassing. Fermentation blow-off is the result of fermenting in a vessel that is too small to contain the resulting krausen. It's a fault, not a feature (unless you're Bass Ale, and they recover the beer). I've toured many commercial operations, and I've not yet seen one that seeks to encourage blow-off .

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply