New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you sparge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
Brewed today. I use a 15 gallon Blichmann Mash/lauter, though stick to 5 gallon batches so my run off is rather quick. Mashed-in 11 lbs of grain at 162 F, after mixing hit 154 F. Mashed for one hour; stirring once at 30 minutes.

After 60 miuntes, added half of my sparge water. Stirred, then let rest for 5 minutes of so. Vorluaf'ed for about 1/2 gallon and ran to the kettle. Repeated after wort level got down to the top of the grain bed with the rest of the allocated sparge water. Ran out all the wort to the keetle. When the flow stops, I shut of the lauter valve for 10 minues to let any remaining wort drip through. With a large tun, I can run-off to the kettle in 20 minutes. Seems to work well, simple, no worries. I usually get close to the beer smith numbers.
Sort of hybrid batch sparge then. That's unusual- I don't think I've ever heard of anybody doing it that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply