Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you smack a smack pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Sumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How do you smack a smack pack?

I bought my first smack pack yeast this past weekend, and Started setting up my equipment. As I went to pop the "little bag" inside I noticed it moves all over the pouch and it hard to nail down. Needless to say I thought I broke it only to open the pouch and see I had not. I cut it with sterile siccors and swished it around and dumped it into the carboy with my wort.

The yeast did its job, i have never seen such a roiling fermentation before!

But to get back to the question, how do make sure the pack inside breaks, i thought for sure that if I whacked it hard the outer bag was gonna bust. Plus that sucker rolls around, a lot. It reminded my of giving my dog his first bath and trying to keep him still.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hold it in your left hand, smack it with your right. Smack it like it owes you money .

Smack Pack Video

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alternately, you can feel around the pack for the inner pouch. Corner it and press on it really hard. Then check the pack (feel around) to make sure it's broken.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 546 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post
Alternately, you can feel around the pack for the inner pouch. Corner it and press on it really hard. Then check the pack (feel around) to make sure it's broken.
I second this method. After an experience like yours, I started beating the heck out of them. That is until the day that the smack pack started to leak. Now I lay it on the counter top, feel around until getting the inner pack isolated under my palm and push down really hard. You can feel and sometimes hear the inner pack break. Knead the pack to check real close that the inner pack is broken. Give the pack a good shake every now and then until it’s fully expanded.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Yeah, this is pretty much what I do. Get it cornered so it can't slip away and give it a squeeze until it pops. It seems like I have to fight with one every once in a while even now.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
there is some thought to the fact that this method really isn't that great. I used to do this until my brother-in-law was over for a brew and had me cut open the used package to see the bubble inside... Sure I has broken the inner bubble, but not by much, and had left about 1/3 of the wort in the bubble (still clear). The difference between the two is if you squeeze it, you will have a smaller opening, than if you smack it like it made a pass at your wife, it will rip the seam completely open
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

John:

+1

I noticed the same thing. Thankfully I was using a starter but I am sure my initial yeast count was low.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for the input. I just read a thread for a guy who whacked it good and dowsed his wife with the yeast pack.

I will try the cornering it, whacking it like it owed money approach. I haven't brew in a few days and I should start another batch of something. Its funny I brewed my first batch 3 weeks ago, and I haven't even got to taste that one yet, and I find myself driving out of my way to stop at the brew shop to get more stuff to brew. Does that go away?

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigeso View Post
Does that go away?
no, welcome to the addiction

I'm back!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

On topic please.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply