Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how do you raise heat from protein rest with brew in a bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default how do you raise heat from protein rest with brew in a bag?

I've found that raising the temp from ~125 to ~150 to go from protein rest to mash temp is really hard with brew in a bag (stove top mash)...

First, I have to constantly stir with heat on, or pressure builds up under the grains, and it sounds like its going to explode.

Secondly, the temperatures seem to have pretty severe pockets, and I've gotten more than 5 degree differences in readings depending on where I put the thermometer.

I noticed that Papazian recommends adding hot water to raise temp, instead of using heat. Is that what you do? The problem then is that often I'm already at capacity in my kettle for mashing.

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't BIAB, but you could either stir constantly like you mentioned, or boil water in a separate pot and add that to your main mash. If you do this, then you can play with the initial water to grain ratio so that when you add your boiling water it gets you to the ratio that you like to use when lautering.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah, heating/stirring to avoid scorching or adding hot water and stirring are really your only options. I heat/stir on my propane burner and did the same when I brewed on the stove. It sucks, but that is a good time to enjoy some home brew.

Quick Reply