Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How Do You Rack to Avoid Sediment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
ultravista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default How Do You Rack to Avoid Sediment?

I have a Fermentech Auto Siphon 1/2" racking cane that I use to transfer fermented beer from the carboy to keg. The problem is that I usally end up sucking yeast/trub off the bottom during the transfer if not uber-careful.

Auto Siphon - 1/2" racking cane : Northern Brewer

The racking cane does have a small foot to keep it off the absolute bottom but an inch of sediment, it is ineffective. Are there any DIY mods for this thing?

What do you do or use to keep from sucking up some of the sediment?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just slowly lower my siphon to keep it just below the surface of the liquid. Once I get near the bottom, I gently tip my bucket/carboy to make the liquid collect near the bottom of my siphon. I primary for 4 weeks, so the cake in the bottom doesn't even budge.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

...and I tip my carboy right away, 1st thing on bottling day, so it has a chance to settle. I just prop up one side slightly by resting it on a cutting board. Then exactly as Frito says - keep siphon in the middle, then lower slowly.

I like getting every last drop, so a little bit of sediment is inevitable. I just let it settle for a few minutes in my bottling bucket - this also gives time for the priming sugar to mix.

And if a little sediment ends up in the bottles, who cares, it'll just drop to the bottom of the bottle.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Avoid siphoning it as best you can. It's not the end of the world if you get a little.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the same problem. My attention wanders, I look up at the tubing and it's sucking trub. I've been thinking about one of these:

Siphon Stem Spring Clip - High Gravity

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
ultravista
Recipes 

Do find the sediment/yeast gives you off flavors when pouring?

I keg so everything settles. I swear I can taste the sediment and not sure what to do about it. The dip tube is at the bottom of the keg, in the dimple.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

You partially answered your question yourself. You need to be careful.

Fritobandito added a good suggestion. Tip the carboy. That will deepen the beer it the corner and make it easier to get the most beer out.

If you don't have one, get one of these: 1/2" Auto-Siphon Clamp : Northern Brewer It makes siphoning so much easier.

Lastly, RDWHAHB. I always get a little trub transferred. I fell it is pretty much unavoidable. I bottle and almost all of it stays in the bottom of the bottling bucket.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4958 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

It's just a matter of being careful, and stop siphoning when you hit trub. I have some little clamps to hold the racking cane for me. I always start in the middle of the beer, and lower the racking cane as the level of the beer lowers. Never start at the bottom, which stirs up and suspends sediment. Then as the level of the beer lowers, I lower the racking cane. It only takes a minute more to be careful, and then you have sediment free beer in the keg.

It's easiest to do if you use highly flocculant yeast (S04 forms a concrete slab under the beer!) and if you start with a beer that's really clear to begin with.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
ultravista
Recipes 

Do you get off flavors if sucking up the sediment?

All of my brews have a very similar flavor, more pronounced when burping. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what it is.

I ferment @ 60 degrees (f) for a minimum of two weeks then bring up the temperature to 70 for another two weeks. I rack into a keg (and see some sediment transfer) and the same off flavor is always there.

The kegged beer in a glass is clear and doesn't look yeasty.

My water is filtered through carbon and I use camden to drive off the clorine/cloramines. No matter what I do, the same flavor is persistent. Not necessarily a bad flavor, just one that I cannot pinpoint.

Maybe a slight tannin taste; sharp but not too sharp. It is driving me nutz.
I can only assume it is some of the trub off the bottom.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Alucard1983
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Myself I rack to my carboy and rack again to another carboy 2 weeks later so then there is less trub

Quick Reply