How do you pronounce fuggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with BeerEagle -fuggles, like muggles. easy.

now willamette is different - often mispronounced. That should be pronounced as they do in Oregon -

will AM ette

as in the hop.

Bear in mind this is a british name, so although you don't need to use the accent, you will need to pronounce it with a wink and a nod, implying that you might just have made a dirty joke. Don't let on though, be subtle.

There's a British dude online -BrewTubeUK- who pronounces it fuggles to rhyme with muggles.

I've always thought it was a short "u" sound, but I've heard some people pronouce it with a long "u" sound of some sort.

Fuh uh guh guh luh

image-886287413.jpg

Wow, what a bunch of awesome responses. I needed a good laugh! For some strange reason I've been saying fuggles like bugle (like the horn)... don't know where I heard that or just looked that way the first time. Now I have to get some!

Wyrmwood said:
Now I have to get some!

They are good hops, hundreds of years old, but they're quite subtle. Ok if you want to make an English ale, but IMHO, they're not very exciting.

I'm a Brit and I love hoppy beers but.... American hops have more "in your face" flavours and aromas.

PolishStout said:
I've heard fuggle like bugle before as well

I don't know what you guys do with the pronunciation of many "english" words.

The herb Basil: you say Bayzil, we say Bazzil

The name Bernard: you say berNARD, we say BERnerd.

The herb Coriander: you say Cilantro wtf?

?? :)

BeerEagle said:
They are good hops, hundreds of years old, but they're quite subtle. Ok if you want to make an English ale, but IMHO, they're not very exciting.

I'm a Brit and I love hoppy beers but.... American hops have more "in your face" flavours and aromas.

+1 to centennial. Founders centennial ipa is excellent

I don't know what you guys do with the pronunciation of many "english" words.

The herb Basil: you say Bayzil, we say Bazzil

The name Bernard: you say berNARD, we say BERnerd.

The herb Coriander: you say Cilantro wtf?

?? :)
Granted, but filet, aluminium, solder? Really?
I was thinking of using fuggles as a flavor/aroma hop for a few English style brews. American hops are definitely more pronounced but they are also more citrus-y in my opinion, less earthy or woody. Nice if that's what you are looking for, but to me at least, APA's begin to taste the same.

In fact, I think one of my next brews will be an attempt to highlight this, rather than subdue it. Soma

It's only cilantro if you bury the coriander in a few inches of soil and add water. Otherwise, it stays coriander. Ground coriander stays coriander regardless.

lol, yeah cilantro is the leaf. coriander is the seed. not sure why...

what's the deal with al-u-minimum?

motobrewer said:
lol, yeah cilantro is the leaf. coriander is the seed. not sure why...

what's the deal with al-u-minimum?

I guess it's due to its influence in Mexican food, which probably came to the attention of American cooks before the new wave European stuff - Cilantro is the spanish word for Coriander (also known as Chinese Parsley in some quarters)

It's strange isn't it? I can't think of any other plant where the green, fruit, stem, seeds have different names (I'm sure someone can, new thread please, although we have hijacked the Fuggles question from OP). We just call it all coriander.

It's al-u-min-ee-um

Etymology of Aluminium:

Humphrey Davy first tried to isolate it from alumina called it aluminum but someone objected in Britain so it was changed to Aluminium to fit with newly discovered sodium, potassium etc.
US Mirriam Webster adopted this initially as the spelling around 1830s when Hall developed the new extraction process.
When he advertised his new product there was confusion on the posters and handbills despite the "correct" spelling on the patents.
The simpler spelling then became widely used and was adopted by Mirriam Webster in 1913.

Back