Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you partial mash canned pumpkin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
ENS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default How do you partial mash canned pumpkin?

I've never partial mashed, but I want to make a pumpkin ale this weekend. I've been searching, but can't seem to find a good description on how to do it. I am not sure if I have the gear. I have two kettles, one 3 gallons and he other 5 gallons. No spigots. I usuall use my 5 gallon for the boil. I do not have a mash tun.

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #2
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've never done it before, but by my knowledge I would just add it towards the end of the boil last 10 minutes so you don't cook away all the goodness, and also good for worry of sanitation. Although 5 minutes might even be better with less worry if it comes from a can. But make sure there are no preservatives in it. I wonder if anyones ever tried dryhopping with actual carved pumpkin slices and how that would come out?

"Good people drink good beer" -- Hunter S. Thompson

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENS View Post
I've never partial mashed, but I want to make a pumpkin ale this weekend. I've been searching, but can't seem to find a good description on how to do it. I am not sure if I have the gear. I have two kettles, one 3 gallons and he other 5 gallons. No spigots. I usuall use my 5 gallon for the boil. I do not have a mash tun.

thanks!
What's the recipe? I am gearing up to brew a Pumpkin Porter. Check this out for an idea as to what you may want to do:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/anyone-brewed-punkin-porter-recipe-extreme-brewing-183676/

"When all else fail, inhale a Ale" - Daniel Dumile

Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That looks like a good recipe from caphector, I'll probably use that as a reference in the fall when I do one!

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_4iT View Post
That looks like a good recipe from caphector, I'll probably use that as a reference in the fall when I do one!
Do you think you'll follow the schedule laid out in Extreme Brewing by starting with boiling the pumpkin? Not ure if I'll go that route or not. I'm going to try to get some organic canned pumpkin and I'm not sure if I want to boil it in the beginning or add it at the end, or maybe just rack on top of it in secondary...

"When all else fail, inhale a Ale" - Daniel Dumile

Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would think with a whole pumpkin, not canned it would probably be better with that method. Not entirely sure never done a pumpkin ale before... But a step process would probably be good too. Use half a pumpkin with the method as stated from caphector, then a can towards the end of the boil, and then dryhop with the rest of the pumpkin in the secondary.

― Ron Paul

Old 07-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 387 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hmm...I don't think any of these guys have actually used pumpkin before. You want to MASH/steep the pumpkin. Throw it right in with your grains for the full mashing period or steeping period if you end up going extract. Treat it just like the grains in your recipe, whether you end up doing PM or extract. You are not going to get the pumpkin flavor from putting it in the boil or secondary. Also, you don't need to pre-boil or pre-cook the pumpkin at all if you are using canned. You would only pre-cook it if you used fresh pumpkin and cut out cubes of pumpkin meat.

That said, if you are doing your first partial mash, I wouldn't do a pumpkin ale. Stick with something simple until you have the process down, then do the pumpkin.

If you are intent on doing the pumpkin, just do it as an extract kit. Pumpkin goes in the steeping bag with the specialty grains.

Hope that helps!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Hmm...I don't think any of these guys have actually used pumpkin before. You want to MASH/steep the pumpkin. Throw it right in with your grains for the full mashing period or steeping period if you end up going extract. Treat it just like the grains in your recipe, whether you end up doing PM or extract. You are not going to get the pumpkin flavor from putting it in the boil or secondary.
I disagree.

Pumpkin has a pretty delicate flavor to begin with. I have found that mashing diminishes that flavor, since it increases its fermentability.

I have had great results roasting pie pumpkins (which produces lots of flavor and reduces the "vegetable" character) and adding them late in the boil and again in secondary. You do get a more hazy/starchy beer that way, but it tastes more like pumpkin, too.

But as with all things beer, there are lots of different ways to produce a great product. What works for me may not work for everyone.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 07-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

How can you be so bold as to say a late boil addition or flameout of puree, with some cubed whole pumpkin in the secondary wouldn't add any flavors? Has it been tried? I would think that multiple additions at different times would bring different characteristics and releases of flavors. I understand the principle behind mashing with the grains, but what about also doing other additions of it aswell?

Probably soften the pumpkin cubes up first before adding it to the secondary.

― Ron Paul

Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
rocketk455
Recipes 

I'm brewing my partial mash pumpkin ale tomorrow. I'm using canned pumpkin and per what i've read on here, I'm going to spread it on a cooking sheet and bake it at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour to caramelize it. Then I will be adding the pumpkin to the mash using a BIAB method.

If you search pumpkin ale on here there are several recipes that all describe the procedure that they used so you can kind of borrow some of their procedure even if you are not using their recipe.

Primary: Spiced Winter Ale
Bottle Conditioning:Black IPA, Graff Apple Cider
Bottled: Maple Brown Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Pumpkin Ale, Scoktoberfest Ale, Chinook IPA
Up Next: Graff Cider, Surly Bender, Jamil's Evil Twin

Quick Reply