Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you know when hops are old?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
MaynardX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default How do you know when hops are old?

I just got an ounce of leaf east kent golding hops from the brew store yesterday. It is the first time I've worked with both golding and leaf hops. I noticed that they don't seem to have the fresh floral scent that the plug and pellets I've used in the past. They kinda smell like a very faint scent of dry grass. Is this common with east kent goldings and/or leaf hops? I was about to throw them in as my bittering hop, but I have a fuggle plug in the freezer if needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Smells like cheese...

Old hops are used in some brews so all is not lost if you like those types of brews...like lambics, I believe.

Open up some of the leaves on the cone. Look for the yellowish pollen inside. If this sticks to your finger and smells OK then you're good. Nothing wrong with smelling grassy.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, since I'm using it for the bittering, I'm more concerned with alfa-acid content. I heard it deteriorates over time. Should i worry about this?

Old 01-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Unless you know the storage conditions, you can't calculate the AA% loss. However, EKG has a very good retention rate even at room temperature.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply