New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you know when Beer is done in the bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Col224
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How do you know when Beer is done in the bottle?

I'm just finishing up my first batch of Beer. I left it in the primary for 3 weeks, then bottled it, it had a FG of about 1.010. I probably should have used a secondary to clear it a bit as it was pretty cloudy when I bottled it. It now has a small layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, but other than that, the beer seems completely clear. It has only been bottled for a week.

My question is: How do I know when its ready for drinking? I know the 1-2-3 rule, and that its a guideline, but how do I know when the beer is good to drink? or when its carbonated?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That's how you tell!

It should be fine to drink after a week if you kept it at proper temperatures but just give it some time

RDWHAHB

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3853 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post

That's how you tell!

It should be fine to drink after a week if you kept it at proper temperatures but just give it some time

RDWHAHB
Yep- only sure way to tell. BUT..........it's always best to "test" by putting the bottle in the fridge for at least 24-48 hours before trying. It forces the co2 in the headspace into solution, to give you a better idea of the carbonation level. Cold beer absorbs co2 much better than warm beer. A warm beer may foam, but still be undercarbonated when chilled.

The next time, you may want to fill a couple of plastic bottles when you bottle. Either soda bottles, or PET bottles made just for homebrew would work. Keep them with the others. Give them a squeeze every few days. When they are rock hard, the beer is carbonated! (It took me like a year to figure out that trick!)

Old 11-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
mysteryberto

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I first started brewing I tried one bottle a week to get a feel for how beer ages and carbonates in the bottle. It really helps to let it age the full 3 weeks or more but you can start drinking it earlier. The last bottle is generally the best

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Old 11-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

If you can then plan on leaving it 3 weeks in before drinking.
That way if all is well you won't be let down and it will have had a little time to condition.If you are still learning then it's worth opening one a week to check on it and educate your self as to how a beer goes from green to conditioned.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
The next time, you may want to fill a couple of plastic bottles when you bottle. Either soda bottles, or PET bottles made just for homebrew would work. Keep them with the others. Give them a squeeze every few days. When they are rock hard, the beer is carbonated! (It took me like a year to figure out that trick!)

That's an amazing and amazingly simple idea. Definitely using that one when I bottle my Wit

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
telemarc
Recipes 

I do EVERYTHING Yooper tells me too!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Here's a mod for that trick: When you fill your PET bottle, fill it like you would normally fill a glass bottle, i.e., leave some headspace. Then gently squeeze the bottle to make the fluid level rise the the very lip of the bottle. While continuing to squeeze the bottle, tightly screw down the cap.

As the beer comes into condition, the gas will force itself into making headspace. The squeezed plastic will puff out to the bottle's normal, molded shape. That gives you a visual reference to gauge carbonation!

Squeezing the carbonating bottle allows you to gauge the level of carbonation. The harder the bottle, the more carbonation in the beer. Don't make the mistake I made, though, and use an unopened bottle of pop as a reference. Soda pop is carbonated to a much higher level than you're likely to ever want in your beer, which means the pop bottle will be rock-hard compared to your homebrew.

Bob

Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

You know when it's done when you've stored it @70 degrees for a minimum of three weeks...take a read of this, and watch the video...

The vid shows somewhat the stages of carbonation...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Col224
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where do I get a PET bottle? or will any common soda bottle work?

Thanks for the information everyone. I think I'm definitely going to be testing these as they condition more so I can get a feel what "green" beer tastes like.

Plus, it means I get to drink my beer.

Quick Reply