Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you know if your brew is contaminated ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
stephenaxe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do you know if your brew is contaminated ?

Hello, How do you know if your brew is contaminated ?

Thanks
stephenAxe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
HickoryMike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Putrid smell and taste....it's not subtle.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
stephenaxe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryMike View Post
Putrid smell and taste....it's not subtle.
Whats putrid??

Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
stephenaxe
Recipes 

So really i would no if it had right?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Hinermad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenaxe View Post
Whats putrid??
Roadkill in August.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You realize that it is very very very hard to ruin your beer, especially if it's your very first batch...and that you are just one of 1,000,000 nervous new brewers that we see on a daily basis, who don't realize that fermentation is often ugly and stinky, and that is normal.

Then you read these collected stories to understand that more than likely your beer is like there's fine.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

If you followed the instructions and did even the most basic level of sanitization as per the instructions that came with you kit or recipe then it is 99.98% likely toyr beer is fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
lady_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I worried a little about my first batch, but it turns out that I hadn't left it long enough and it wasn't a very nice kit to begin with.

Since then I have had issues with some of my others... mostly when I opened them before I should have.

My advice? Take Revvy's advice - if you are really worried, maybe describe what you think is wrong, and some details about when you made it, when you bottled it, etc. It might give people a few hints if there is really something wrong.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
stephenaxe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_brewer View Post
I worried a little about my first batch, but it turns out that I hadn't left it long enough and it wasn't a very nice kit to begin with.

Since then I have had issues with some of my others... mostly when I opened them before I should have.

My advice? Take Revvy's advice - if you are really worried, maybe describe what you think is wrong, and some details about when you made it, when you bottled it, etc. It might give people a few hints if there is really something wrong.
Hello, thanks for all ur help. Its not the fact of describing the beer to find out what is wrong its just the fact that i did not no how to find out if it was or not as the instructions never said anything about how to tell

Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
lady_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are using a kit, which is all I have used so far, the instructions don;t tell you much. They will tell you to let it ferment for 4-6 days and then bottle, and to leave it in the bottles for a week or two before drinking. This is not a way to get good beer. It will be beer, it will get you drunk, but it won't be good.

There is lots of info here... but basically you want to leave it in the bucket for 2-3 weeks (at least), you can move it to a secondary if you like (I do and add isinglass, I am trying to get some non-homebrew drinkers to accept it and they like it better clear.) Leave it in the bottles for a min of 3 weeks (and at least five if you can manage.)

Also, start a second and a third batch before the first is done, if you can manage the equipment. You will be much happier getting more through and ready as soon as possible. As time goes on you will get better beer, and probably try new things, like extract and all grain (I am not there yet.)

Good luck and enjoy!!

Quick Reply