Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you guys calculate for trub loss?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default How do you guys calculate for trub loss?

Just curious, is it just trial and error knowing your going to lose like 1/4th to 1/2 gallon due to trub, or is there some other way to know based on the AG Ingredients/recipe/yeast?

Wondering if i should just start entering in 5.5g for my final volume in Beersmith so i use the right amount of water...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Just trial and error for me.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Wondering if i should just start entering in 5.5g for my final volume in Beersmith so i use the right amount of water...
This is what I do - i.e. I set my 10g batches to 11.5 in Beersmith rather than trying to plug in the 1.5 gal kettle/trub losses (which I have determined by trial and error). I find it's much easier to hit my numbers this way. There was a useful PDF I found in the Beersmith forums that detailed the different ways to set this up, I'll post if I can find it again.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze
Just curious, is it just trial and error knowing your going to lose like 1/4th to 1/2 gallon due to trub, or is there some other way to know based on the AG Ingredients/recipe/yeast?

Next time you rack make a mark on your primary. When you clean it then add water up to the mark and pour it back into a graduated vessel and there you go, or, conversely use a graduated vessel to add the water

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Thread I was talking about is here. PDF file is in 3rd post down. I guess this is the "Est. Mash Efficiency" method rather than "Total Efficiency" method.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want to save yourself a bunch of headaches, do NOT use the trub/chiller loss field. Set it to 0, then increase your batch size (use the 'scale recipe' tool with the 'keep OG, SRM, IBU the same' box checked), like mentioned above, to account for post-boil losses.

The root of the problem is that BeerSmith uses 'to the fermenter' for brewhouse efficiency, instead of the more common (and useful) 'in the kettle' BH eff.

If you use the trub loss field for losses, you would have to adjust your 'to the fermenter' BHE to account for it. There isn't a correct formula for this, but it can be approximated. Same goes for if you ever mod your equipment, switch from leaf to pellet, use a high trub grainbill, etc.

It is best to not use the trub loss field at all, and notate in your recipes how much of the batch size was for losses. Some even say to set the lauter dead space to 0, since making MLT changes cause the same issues with BeerSmith.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is a 100% trial and error variable. It also depends on the style. eg a dry hopped IPA is going to soak up some extra liquid.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

With the yeast strains I use, and my processes, I factor on leaving 3 quarts of volume behind in the fermenter for each batch. This means, I typically put 6-3/4 to 7 gallons into primary so that I get a solid 6 gallons out (into two 3 gallon kegs). I don't mind leaving a bit more behind, if it comes down to it. I also have how much will be left behind in the boil keggle, plate chiller, etc. factored into my post-boil volume.

Once you calibrate your system, you won't need to worry about it moving forward. I do have these items entered into BeerSmith, so it's easy to hit my goals.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Generally just make 5.5 gallon batches instead of 5.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I also have how much will be left behind in the boil keggle, plate chiller, etc. factored into my post-boil volume.

Once you calibrate your system, you won't need to worry about it moving forward. I do have these items entered into BeerSmith, so it's easy to hit my goals.
Except for it being a lot harder to adapt to changes regarding losses if you enter those trub and lauter losses into the BeerSmith fields. It is much easier to simply increase/decrease the batch size by the known amount of an equipment change, or the amount of hop absorption when switching from pellet to leaf, or a hoppy brew. It is more work (you need to do a new efficiency calc/tune), and bit of a crap shoot the first time, if you enter them into BeerSmith.

Quick Reply