Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you clean and sanitize your bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Zappa42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do you clean and sanitize your bottles

hey guys,

I am trying to think of ways to clean and sanitize bottles. The past two batches I have soaked them in oxyclean, rinsed well and run them in the dishwasher without soap to sanitize. Any recommendations on other ways to do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I clean my bottles after I drink them. That way it doesn't take much, and I only have to worry about sanitizing.

to sanitize, I dip in star san for 30 seconds, then onto a bottle tree to drip off the excess, and then they are filled and capped.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've used two methods here, depending on the state of the bottles. If they are already de-labeled, you can skip step 2 and 3.

1. Using a bottle washer and hot water, rinse bottles inside thoroughly.
2. Put all the rinsed bottles into the bathtub with hot water and a few glugs of bleach (a glug is a scientific measurement in my book). Soak for 30 minutes.
3. Slide/peel the labels off the bottles, then use a scotch brite or other scrubbing pad to remove label remnants.
4. Place de-labeled bottles in the dishwaher
5. Set dishwasher for Sanitize Wash cycle, and add 2 tsp of no-rinse sanitizer(I use Iodophor) to the soap reservoir.
6. After cycle completes, leave bottles in dishwasher long enough for them to dry completely and cool (usually 1-2 hours after cycle ends).

I've done this and I have had no contaminated bottles of beer (yet!). If you've got a dishwasher to use, it's much easier than using a bottle tree. When bottling, I also put the bottling bucket on the counter above my dishwasher. With the door open, all of my beer spills just fell on the dishwasher door and made for simple cleanup.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Newfermenter1

Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I do not (yet) have a bottle tree, so I lay out paper towles on the counter, sanitize, swirl them out and set upside down on the towles. In theory the sanitizer in the bottle should run out onto the towl and keep the rims clean until I fill them. Just dont hop around or you will see what glass dominoes can do to your bottle area!

"A mind stretched by a new experience can never return to its old dimensions"

Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

After pouring, I rinse out the bottle and set it on the kitchen counter. When 6 or 8 bottles accumulate, I wash them all in oxyclean and hang them on my bottling tree to dry. When the bottle tree gets full, I put them in case holders until I need them.

On bottling day, I fill my kitchen sink with a hot oxyclean solution and attach a bottle washer to my kitchen tap. I fill 12 bottles with oxy clean, shake them up, pour them out, and rinse them with the bottle washer. Then I submerge them in my 5-gallon bucket of StarSan solution for a minute, and hang them on the bottle tree to drip dry. Repeat with the next batch of 12 bottles until all bottles have been cleaned and sanitized.

I could skip the oxyclean wash on bottling day because every bottle has already been washed once. I still do it, though, because some of the bottles sit for a long time before getting used and they get pretty dusty, so I feel better about it.

It takes about 45 minutes to clean and sanitize 50 bottles this way at a moderate pace.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I rinse my bottles as I drink them and then store them until I have 12 or so around.
Then I put them in a 5 gallon bucket with water and oxyclean.
I let them soak over night or until I get back around to them.
Then I dump the oxyclean and rinse inside and out with hot water and store on a bottle tree to dry.
On bottling day I give each bottle a spray of Starsan on the inside and fill them up.

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I clean in oxyclean after I empty them of their contents, store in a clean place, then sanitize with Iodophor when it comes time to bottle.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Great_Neck_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I was wondering the same thing.

Will I be able to get all the residue out of the old bottles I've been saving for the past month?

Chris

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I got some old Sierra Nevada bottles from a friends house that were pretty nasty. SN bottles often have a little sediment in the bottom, so some of these things were really gunked up. I hit them with my faucet-attached bottle washer and some super-hot water and the nasties came right off. Plus, I soaked them in the tub with bleach to take the labels off, and then ran them through the dishwasher and that took care of everything else.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

If they're commercial bottles, I rinse them well after I drink out of them, then put them in the box they came in, when I get a lot, I soak them in PBW in my kitchen sink for 45 minutes to get the labels off, then I rinse them well, and put them back in their box. If they're already homebrewed bottles, I just rinse them well and put them away. When bottling day comes, I fill up my dishwasher and put it on the hottest cycle with no detergent, then run it. When I'm bottling, I pull my bottles directly out of the dishwasher.

Quick Reply