Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you chill your wort?

View Poll Results: How do you chill your wort?
Ice Bath 71 35.32%
Immersion Chiller 101 50.25%
Counterflow Chiller 20 9.95%
Plate Chiller 9 4.48%
Other 12 5.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default How do you chill your wort?

I am currently using a 25' copper immersion chiller. During the winter it worked like a charm. But now in the warmer weather I am getting a little frustrated with how long it is taking to get my wort cooled off. So I am thinking about going with a counterflow chiller and using my immersion chiller as a pre-chiller. But before I go to the expense and trouble of doing that I thought I would see what everyone else is doing first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Voted IC, but now in the summer i have been using it with ice bath as the tap water is around 78 degrees.

Luckily in Utah the reservoirs are all in the mountains fed by snow run off so water never gets too warm but if you lived in someplace like Florida or Arizona im guessing a IC would be almost pointless.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Neutrino
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamuus View Post
Voted IC, but now in the summer i have been using it with ice bath as the tap water is around 78 degrees.

Luckily in Utah the reservoirs are all in the mountains fed by snow run off so water never gets too warm but if you lived in someplace like Florida or Arizona im guessing a IC would be almost pointless.
That's kind of my experience yes - my cold tap certainly runs warm here in FL...

N.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
bja
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts

immersion chiller with a prechiller.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was using a CFC but I just got my IC from AHS today. I don't know why really but I found the CFC to be a bit of a PITA for me... I know most people love them, just not me...

Old 07-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I voted "other" because I do use an IC, but I put it in an ice bath and pump the wort through it.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
bsdx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

I use an IC in two steps lately while keeping the wort in motion across it almost the whole time. It takes me around 15 minutes to get boiling down to around 70ish with ~60 degree well water, then I switch to recirculating ice water (approx 14 lbs of ice) through the IC to knock it down to 5 degrees below ideal fermentation temp so the yeast has nowhere to go but up. That takes me another 15 minutes.

I don't have a food safe pump or I'd consider using it to circulate the wort across the IC for me or better yet run it through a CFC back into the pot. I haven't ventured into running my wort through things I can't see through yet, and the CFC might run into trouble if I want to hit 57 degrees but my well temp is above. Thus I'm more interested short term in finding something cheap to spin my wort across the IC.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I use an IC that I made, but it's only 25 ft of Copper. My tap water is pretty high in the Houston Summers, and i dont think it really makes a difference. The water coming out is barely warm. I was hoping it would be a lot hotter, meaning the heat exchange was working. Oh Well...

I did buy a lot of extra tubing for the inlet side, and just have it coiled in a bucket full of ice water. I dont know if thats helping either but it makes me feel good haha.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
bsdx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

ps. I bought a pre wort chiller but my water was fairly cool to start with so it was just more work to keep liquid flowing past chillers in two vessels instead of one. It did lower the temp of the incoming water but recirculating the ice water through the main IC seems more efficient and easier if you have a water pump. I bought the pre wort chiller for fun so I'm not too bothered.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ice bath all the way. I'm getting an IC from a brewing friend soon, but like everyone else, living in Alabama means warm water in the summer.

Quick Reply