New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you batch sparge without disturbing the grain bed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Beernewb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default How do you batch sparge without disturbing the grain bed?

and if you fly sparge how do you mash out? do you nee to mash over a burner? I only have coolers right now...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I batch sparge, and when I'm putting the first vourlauf (sp?) back in the batch, which is where I think you are referring to "disturbing the grain bed", I put a piece of tin foil over the grain and pour the wort back on top. That way the grain bed isn't disturbed for the rest of the draining.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 580 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 52

If you batch sparge, you intentionally disturb the grain bed by stirring the sparge water into the mash. You then need to wait a few minutes and vorlauf until the runnings are clear again.

You can mash out with any of the following techniques:

Direct heat the mash until it's 170° F or greater (not possible with a cooler mash tun unless you use steam).

Decoct a calculated portion of the mash and add it back to affect an overall temp of 170° F or greater.

Add a calculated amount of very hot water to the mash, thus thinning it, but increasing the temp to 170° F or greater.

Fly sparge with 170-180° F sparge water (my preferred technique).

Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
houndhome1

Recipes 

I use a cooler aslo. This is how I do it. After an hour of letting the grain mash (all grain brewing). I then add 1-1/1/2 gals of boiling water. then let it set for 5-10 minutes. I then start a slow dain. On the side I have a pot of boiled water. I then add 2 quarts at a time, just to keep the grain bed covered. I continue this method until I reach my pre-boil mark. I aslo have a low flame on my brewing pot while it's filling. Heres a pic

Quick Reply