how do I get those disgusting stickers/glue off my cornys??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spray Pam (lipids plus ether) to soften 'em up, then use 91% alcohol to finish 'em off. They're a PITA, and take some elbow grease, but they'll come off...eventually.

I've read Amonia, or baking soda and water. Thats for commercial bottles though. Don't get me wrong, I am brand new, and my advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you out.

Heat, like a heat gun or Mama's iron. And scraper/putty knife. Then your favorite spray solvent on the residue- WD-40, Carb cleaner, Goof-Off, stater fluid, gasoline, kerosene.

I tried WD-40 and it didn't do squat for me. Goof-off worked pretty good. Xylene worked pretty well too. Basically, it's hella hard to get some of those really old labels off your keg. Elbow grease. Lots of it.

I used WD-40 and a razor blade to scrape them. Once the sticky was gone, I used acetone on a rag. No, don't raid your SWMBO's nail polish bin. Any old harsh solvent will work.

Yep. that ugly stubborn label is the first think I clean off. I also use a Heat Gun, (Like the one for Paint removal). You must use it with the Keg empty, or the stainless will not heat enough. I use a Little paint scrapper and start at a corner, and then to the whole side. After that start peeling slowly and keep heating just ahead of where the sticker is lifting, usually, if the sticker is in good shape, it takes less than a minute. If you heat too much, the sticker will get too soft and it will stretch and tear.

Then the glue residue, will come of after a good soaking in oxyclean for 2 or 3 days. If some small stubborn parts are still there, then wire scrub pad/Steel Wool will do the rest.

dp

For most of the stickers I can just fill the keg with HOT water from the water heater and it will heat up the glue enough that they peal off without leaving any residue. Some of the stickers will still leave some residue that is a pain to get off, but not most.

Funny thing I found this thread. I was going to start one yesterday after cleaning some kegs. I did as you suggest Conpewter, fill them with HOT tap water let sit for a short time and they peel right off. A little WD-40 on the left over adhesive and Whammo, clean and easy. I almost posted but figured everybody knew, as I'm always the last to know.

Great to know others use that method as well, I figured it out when Edwort posted that he would set his outside in the hot sun to soften up, since I live in northern Illinois and not Texas I figured I'd peal off the stickers while the insides soak in hot Oxyclean solution.

I just soak the bottles in warm water for 20 min and then use a plastic pot scrubber or green pot scrubber pad about 2"x4" diameter.
Have fun

I have a hard time soaking cornies! They don't fit in the sink....SWMBO doesn't like carboys in the shower.....She'd kill me if I had kegs in there.

I would get some Oxy-Clean, soak scrub brush in hot water and oxy-clean and go to town, it might take a little bit but it will come off.

In the UK, you can buy stainless steel swarf pads for serious kitchen jobs, like cleaning the bottom of the custard saucepan. I find these get rid of all labels on bottles and the residue, even the clear plastic labels and UV glued ones. A bit of elbow grease, but, heh, why did you have kids?

I have a hard time soaking cornies! They don't fit in the sink....SWMBO doesn't like carboys in the shower.....She'd kill me if I had kegs in there.

I waited until she was gone shopping for the day on Black Friday and washed all my new kegs in the bathtub. I used oxyclean and got them pretty shiny. The tub was BLACK when I finished, but I got it all cleaned before she came home, so I avoided the beating I so richly deserved.

I use an old cooler. Sink them in Oxyclean solution, let sit with the lid on. Come back easy clean. The cooler will hold hot water all day long letting me do several.

Back