Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do I fix over carbonated bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

They were way over carbed, and really not drinkable. It was like drinking soda. I tried venting, but it didn't help.

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
brewista_may
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i over carbed my beer as well. it's only day 2 and its way too over carbed already (opened one and it was gushy and insanely carbed). im afraid ill have bottle bombs but they are only 2 days in the bottle so the c02 level is only going to go up right? how long should i wait for the yeast to eat more sugars before i degass them?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1480 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 2309

Default How do I fix over carbonated bottled beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewista_may View Post
i over carbed my beer as well. it's only day 2 and its way too over carbed already (opened one and it was gushy and insanely carbed). im afraid ill have bottle bombs but they are only 2 days in the bottle so the c02 level is only going to go up right? how long should i wait for the yeast to eat more sugars before i degass them?
I've never checked a bottle on day 2 but sounds like your complete impatience paid off. How much sugar (or was it dextrose) to your beer did you use?

If they're gushing now you need to get them in a fridge. Did you open one warm? If so, stick one in the fridge for an entire day (24 hours) then open it. In the meantime put all in a covered bin and tuck them far away from foot traffic so no one is hurt if they do explode.

I'd also return to this thread where you were previously provided the best answer you could get.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/too-...hat-do-454524/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

troy2000 Likes This 

Quick Reply