Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do I fix over carbonated bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default How do I fix over carbonated bottled beer?

I tried uncapping a six pack and letting them sit for about 10-15 mins but that wasn't long enough. How long should i let them sit with the cap off? Should I let them sit for an hour or two? Granted they will be covered with something, maybe sanitized tinfoil to prevent infection. Anyone run into this problem and fix the issue? I have over a case of un drinkable beer...

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 526

How bad is it? Gushers, or just too much bubbles for our snobby tastes?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
WooHokie
Recipes 

Time heals all wounds.

Let them sit with caps on in the fridge for a few more weeks.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
karljrberno
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

O its drinkable ... I have had it happen a few times I think many have , I usually crack it open pour it instantly into a wide deep (Big)Mug give it head room let it sit down then , Also I found if you get them very cold 36deg or so they seem to fome over less than if they were warm

Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
How bad is it? Gushers, or just too much bubbles for our snobby tastes?
No gushers. Just way too much bubbles which is really messing with the taste.

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just get them nice and cold. That way you can pour them in your glass and sit for a while to degas while they warm to the proper drinking temp.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If chilling doesn't resolve your problem, caps can be lifted and reseated, often without new caps. I have done this without any problems twice. If the overcarbonation is severe, you may want to allow the caps to rest loose on the bottles for a bit. If not, just the release of the headspace co2 may be sufficient. I've done both and been delighted (maybe lucky) with the result.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Brewemup_drinkemdown
Recipes 

I've had a few cases of way over carbonated gushers. I use the glass Grolsh bottles with the rubber flip caps. During bottling it will usually be the result of adding too much dextrose. Brew Canada instructions advise 1 to 1 1/4 cups of dextrose. Always go with the 1 cup. If after 2 weeks from bottling the beer isn't carbonated very will, let it be for a month or so. i've gone back to the beer and found flat beer later properly carbonated.
Gushers - well, I'd crack a few of them in the sink, let them boil over for a while (20 minutes), then maybe make 1 beer out of 3 bottles.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up dumping the whole batch. Tasted different, not bad, but not what I was going for. I vented the bottles and the carbonation was off after that. Chocked that one up as a loss and gave the plants a drink.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBrew View Post
I ended up dumping the whole batch. Tasted different, not bad, but not what I was going for. I vented the bottles and the carbonation was off after that. Chocked that one up as a loss and gave the plants a drink.
You dumped an entire batch of "not bad" beer?????????

Quick Reply