Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how do i calculate what my pre-boil gravity should be?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
TacoGuthrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how do i calculate what my pre-boil gravity should be?

Planning my second partial mash. On my first one I had a very low gravity reading right before i pitched my yeast. I didn't take a pre-boil gravity reading but i regret it because I think i had very low efficiency which resulted in low SG.

So... how can I calculate what my preboil gravity is supposed to be so I can adjust my extract additions if need be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Jeepnbrew
Recipes 

get beersmith its free for 20 days. You can input your recipe and it will calculate everything for you! Then use your hydrometer and measure your preboil gravity and match it up with beersmith..

Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

hey how convenient, i'm on day 18 of my free trial. Where do I find out what the preboil gravity is using BeerSmith?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on Beersmith and the free trial. I'm sure there are a couple websites with free calculators as well if you google for it.

Just keep a little DME on hand to bump up if you have a bad efficiency.

Biggest misses on efficiency are probably bad crush on the grain, improper temperature realization or maintenance, improper water amount, and improper stirring of the mash to distribute temperature.

I flubbed my efficiency first partial mash, but had documented everything. On my next one (all grain) I saw a very good improvement by reviewing my notes and adjusting for my previous errors.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

So i found the Brewhouse Efficiency button in Beer Smith.

This window popped up:

So is 1.095 my preboil gravity? Do I take a reading when my first and second runnings are in my brewpot and I have collected my 3.25 gallons? Or is it just the gravity reading of my first runnings?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
bgough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you doing 3 gallon boils or full boils?

Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Looks like 3 gallon boils w/water addition to make 5 g?

First and second runnings into brewpot. Stir thoroughly. Adjust for temperature (that's in the tools section of BeerSmith too).

the wort OG will be considerably higher than style OG until you add your top-off water. (like 1.095).

recommendation: splurge for a 8-10 g brewpot for full boils as soon as feasible. I promise you won't regret it.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

Yes right now i've got a 4 Gal brew pot so about 3.25 G boils. Then I top up with water in the fermenter.

Question about the 1.095. Does that include the gravity points from the LME? I think it might. The recipe is a partial mash so i've got 6 lbs of grain and 5 # of LME as a late addition.

Would it work if I removed the lme from the recipe, adjust my batch size to my boil size and look at my expected OG? I can't try it right now because i'm at work and BeerSmith is at home.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

In beersmith it is listed on your brewsheet. When you are looking at a recipe at the top click on "Preview BrewSheet" and it will be listed on there

Old 06-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
ericm
Recipes 

pre-boil gravity = (post-boil gravity)*(post-boil volume)/(pre-boil volume)

(for the calculation, use everything after the decimal point for the gravities; ie. 1.050 = 50; 1.105 = 105)

beersmith is great, but you don't need it for something this simple.

Quick Reply