Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do I add more flavour to a very bland beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
mattlamers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do I add more flavour to a very bland beer?

I'm on about day 14 of my first batch and decided to give it a little taste after checking the gravity. It was extremely bland and basically tasted like water featuring a slight hint of alch. Are there any ways of adding more flavor at this stage? Or is it to late. I'd love to save my first batch. but I fear it may be too late!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
mattlamers
Recipes 

Well it's complicated. I may have royally screwed this one. There was no direct recipe. I used a can of Blonde Ale extract, boiled it, added 1000g's of dex sugar and added the yeast after. I feel like many steps were missing in this process. Specifically the adding of any type of hops. I made the mistake of following the equipment kit instructions instead of using any outside sources.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
mattlamers
Recipes 

Also, yeast strain is a new term to me, could you elaborate? As you can see I'm new to this.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlamers View Post
Also, yeast strain is a new term to me, could you elaborate? As you can see I'm new to this.
Brewing yeast comes in hundreds of varieties. If you used a Cooper's yeast, or something like that, though, it doesn't matter.

Yeah, you got yourself a canned kit that isn't very good, plus added a KG of sugar which thins and dries the beer, leaving it with alcohol but no real body or flavor. Once it finishes up, and you add the priming sugar and bottle it you may find that it's drinkable so don't give up hope yet!

Next time, try to not use those canned kits and crap yeast, and use a quality kit to give you a good quality beer. Those canned kits will make an alcoholic beverage similar to light beer, though, so it may be drinkable when it's done.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
mattlamers
Recipes 

Thanks, much appreciated. I have one more question. Is it okay to only boil a portion of the beer and add water to it? I'm looking into making 5 gallons and I don't have a big enough pot, so is it acceptable to boil the wort and add some water to compensate afterwords or will this have a negative effect?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlamers View Post
Thanks, much appreciated. I have one more question. Is it okay to only boil a portion of the beer and add water to it? I'm looking into making 5 gallons and I don't have a big enough pot, so is it acceptable to boil the wort and add some water to compensate afterwords or will this have a negative effect?
Yes, that's very commonly done! There are some other techniques to make the beer even better (like adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil, to avoid caramelization-like flavors) and we can help you with that.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
mattlamers
Recipes 

Awesome! They're so many different ways of brewing it's slightly over-whelming at this point haha, I wish I could find one concrete way of brewing and go from there. If you have any suggestions or have a specific way of brewing please let me know!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

THis will get you on your way. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/begi...g-howto-99139/

Look at all the Stickies in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum. There is a lot of knowledge in one spot for the newbie.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
mattlamers
Recipes 

Thanks!

Quick Reply