Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How did you convince yourself to take time to learn?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
#4. Can you make a decent all-grain beer with multi step? Cool. You win beer making. Now go make a lambic.
HA! Love it. Nicely done.

I guess I got it backwards though...I'm making sours and wild ales with partial mash & extract recipes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
TheMerkle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the encouragement guys! My first batch had only one major off-flavor. I identified that and learned from it. My specialty grain pale ale is carbing now, and the bit I snuck out was delicious. My partial mash Two Hearted Clone is still a bit harsh, but it's only a week old. It's happily dry hopping in secondary now. I've been encouraged to step to all grain so my next batch will be just that. Now I just wish I could talk myself into doing something a bit smaller on my first all grain, but the whole reason I started brewing was to make my own Belgian Strong Dark. Go big or go home, right?

Old 08-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Decades of experience with other aspects of life taught me that a little research and practice will payoff big. Even seemingly simple things, like when you put a new blade on your circular saw, make a few practice cuts in cheap wood before cutting the expensive stuff.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 667

If making a good belgian dark strong is your goal, I'd get at least 3-4 AG batches under my belt. That's going to be a huge grainbill too, so plan on a 10G mastun being maxed out with all that grain.

Lastly, Belgian Dark Strong Ale's are typically aged. I've got one ageing as we speak. The same recipe was aged 4 years before Jamil won a gold medal for it, so you'll want to make sure you're investing that kind of time in a good beer and not an experiment. As always, my $.02 is worth what you paid for it. ;-)

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Sideways
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Just go for it. I skipped extract and went straight to all grain. To your original question "How did you convince yourself to take time to learn?" More like how do I convince myself to get off HBT and get back to work.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How did you convince yourself to take time to learn?

Easy.....I didn't have no freak'n SEARCH button or HBT forum to run to if I was having a panic attack over no bubbles in my airlock.

I had the Complete Joy and Zymurgy to thumb through - and I got all the learning I needed right there.

Don't get me wrong...I love HBT and all the great information to be had.
I just remember a time when people "took time to learn" instead of looking for instant gratification in panic laden threads.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 08-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
TheMerkle
Recipes 

You're in the Beginner's forum E-Mursed. Panic laden threads might should be expected

Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
I think you're really asking how to be patient while waiting for the results from your previous brews to give you feedback. I say just move on to your next brew if you're ready. Keep good records/notes and you'll still get valuable experience from each brew. You might screw up consecutive batches doing this, (I did) so maybe that possibility will convince you to slow down. But if not, Brew on!
Looks like one person gleaned your real question. I wholly concur with his answer.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I spent copious hours on this website, gearing up for all grain. I think my first AG batch was about my 15th attempt? I used DeathBrewer's fantastic tutorial, and it came out very good in the end.

Now I'm close to 50 batches under my belt, and while I like AG for the inexpensive cost, I normally do partial mashing (or steeping grains with extract) to save on time. Plus, I find that without proper water chemistry, all grain isn't always better - i'd rather use spring/distilled water with a proper water report.

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 08-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
TheMerkle
Recipes 

Yea, I've taken careful notes of every step with each batch, and I continue to do so. I sneak taste samples at every opportunity and so far I've been very happy with my work. My only mistake (so far) was what I believe to have been an overcarbing issue. Easy fix.

Quick Reply