Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to Cool Wort (w/out wort chiller)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
ttownbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Not to sound like an @$$ or anything, but with all the money spent on ice, bottles, water, etc for every batch you do it seems worth it to invest in an IC.

I found a 25' roll of 3/8 copper at Home Depot and all the connections for about $35-40 and about 30 minutes of my time. I cool down 5 gallons in about 10-13 mintues so far. I even recapture most of the water to mix with sanitizer.

Seems with all the other methods listed you'll spend $35-40 over the course of less than one year anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #22
web250
Recipes 

You're probably right...the water/ice used in cooling probably cost $4 a batch. But for right now, only running one primary, which means at most 1 batch every other week...I'm at most going to go through the $50 or so required for an IC in 6-8 months. If my brewing habit picks up, I'll splurge for an IC...but for now, I'm ok with ice and water.

Upcoming: None
Primary: Steam Beer
Conditioning: None
Drinking: Oktoberfest, Blonde Ale

Old 01-24-2008, 04:22 AM   #23
Beertk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can speed the process with salt. Back when I didn't have the IC I stocked up on a little bit of ice and put it into the sink with water and rock salt. I stir the water not the wort. It works really really well. you should have it cold in no time. I think 15- 20 minutes with no problem. This is really the old ice cream technique and it works quite well before you pony up.

That being said ... pony up. I found at true value 50 ft of 5/16 is like 20$ (dirt cheap) then buy 1 ft of 3/8 and solder it on to the ends. 3/8" slips right over 5/16". the 3/8" will go right on to whatever adapters you desire. 50' of 5/16" does a fine job for 20$-- 3/8" will be more than 2x that cost for sure and only cool slightly better.

"I don't drink to find happiness. Coincidentally. I do enjoy listening to you much more after a beer or three."

Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #24
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer
What i have done is use just cold tap water for the first soak of the very hot wort. Then once you have some of the heat knocked out you can proceed w/ the ice. This will use less ice.
this is what i do sometimes, especially with only 2-3 gallons, i can knock it down in 20 minutes if i change the water a couple of times and then put some ice in there.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #25
alexanjm
Recipes 

While the wort was cooling in the sink, I added about 1/3 of the water that most people have waiting in the primary fermenter to the pot itself, and let it cool a little more after that. I don't know if this helped at all... I guess it was still the same volume of water so no matter what order you add it the caloric energy it adds or subtracts from the wort is probably the same... I just thought it might temper the wort faster if it was mixed with 2 phases of cold water rather than just one. who knows-- this was my first try.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
natefitz

Recipes 

Here's a super cheap method that works well for me.

I went to wally world and picked up a 10ft garden hose for a couple bucks. I drilled 1/8" holes every 2" along the first 3ft of the hose and plugged the end. When I'm ready to chill, I wrap the 3 foot section of hose around the top of my kettle above the handles with the 1/8" holes directed inward. I run cold tap water through the hose. The end result is kind of a cooling tower with a thin layer of cold water running down the entire outside surface of the kettle. This cools my wort very quickly. I'll post a pic next time I brew.

Cheers

"Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer." -Johnny Cash

Old 01-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
nchomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
If you're topping off with fresh water to get to five gallons:
  • Put three 1-gallon jugs of bottled water in the freezer at the beginning of your brew session.
  • When your boil is done, fill your sink with cold tap water.
  • Place the kettle in the sink and gently move both the wort and the water around.
  • Once the sink water warms up, replace the water. If you have a double sink, simply move the kettle from one sink to the other with fresh, cold water. If you repeat this process about 3-4 times, you'll get the wort down to 100 degrees pretty quickly.
  • Take one of the (now starting to freeze) jugs of water and pour it into the fermenter.
  • Add your wort, then top off with enough additional cold water to get to 5.25 gallons.
This should get you to 75 degrees on the money.

so how big was your primary boil? say finish with 2 gallons? and then top off with 3.25 ice cold gallons to get to 75 deg? i've been doing the ice bath thing, but would like to find a good system like this to save on some lifting.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #28
laterholmes
Recipes 

I'm thinking of using a frozen (full) stainless steel 1/2 gallon SIG or Kleen Kanteen type water bottle that I've sanitized as a wort chiller, alongside icebaths etc....Any problems with this idea? It would involve not having to buy new stuff which is very important to me at this juncture :-)

Old 11-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #29
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It could work. Adding salt to the water before you freeze it might help.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #30
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In fact you may be onto the next big thing in Chillers.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Quick Reply