Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to Cool Wort (w/out wort chiller)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The other option if you are doing a 3 gallon boil is to get large one gallon ziplock bags, and freeze sterilized water into blocks in the bags the day before brewing. Then once you are done brewing toss the sterilized ice directly into the pot so it melts and provides the extra top off water to get to 5 gallons. You can sterilize water by boiling it, letting it cool then transferring it to the ziplock bags for freezing.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
twocylndr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I pre boil 2-3 gallons of water, to sterilize it, the day before brew day. I set the pot out side covered over night. On brew day, I cool my wort(in brew pot) in the sink to about ~100 with just tap water. I pour the wort into to my primary and then top off with the cold water. Takes about 30-40 minutes to chill to pitching temp.

Last brew day my well ran dry!!! Oops! My wort was boiling on the stove and my top off water was chilled...that was good...But I had no water to fill the sink! I threw a huge tub in the pickup bed drove to the neighbors and filled the tub with water. The tube holds about 20 gallons.
Next brew day I think I will fill it the night before, let it chill over night outside and forgo the cooling in the sink.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloop
Damn... you put the bottles right in the wort? Class capped bottles or something?
I actually use a Rapi-Kool 128oz soup & stock chiller. The 128oz is a little big, however. The 64oz is a better choice. PET water bottles work exactly the same way and cost next to nothing. All you have to do is make sure they are clean and sanitized.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
gerrg
Recipes 

I'm going to have to do the same thing here in another week. How would putting the stock pot outside work? It's about 16 degrees outside here at night. ideas? Thanks!

peace
-gw

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Putting the kettle outside will work, but not very quickly. An ice water bath will cool the wort down more quickly than 16F air. Even if the wind were blowing pretty well, I don't know that you could get the wort temperature down as quickly (but I am just speculating here)

If you want to cool down your ice water bath even more, add some salt to the water. Don't forget to move the kettle around some in the bath, gently, as well as those frozen bottles, to get some more convection working you, as well.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
RickWG
Recipes 

Most kitchen sinks have a middle that is lower than the sides. This allows for water to flow over into the other side rather than overflow onto the floor. I put a couple of bowls in my sink and plug the drain. I set the kettle on the upsidedown bowls and run water with just a trickle to keep it flowing over the top of the middle part. This replaces the warm water with cool water. When the wort has dropped to about 100 degrees or so I turn off the water and put ice in from the ice maker. (Stirring every once in a while.) This cools the wort down to 80 or so. I have had a 2.5 gallon water bottle in the freezer to chill it for top off water. I can usually get down to 65-70 this way. I like to start a little cold at around 65 because yeast can heat up wort pretty fast.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's winter where I live ;-) and tap water is coming out at exactly 40F right now. If
I'd be wasting money on ice right now because the different in water temp would be like 8 degrees. If you tap water is under 50f, fill the sink, dunk the pot and stir both the wort and the sink water every couple minutes (different spoons please). Once the sink water gets warm, drain it and refill.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrg
I'm going to have to do the same thing here in another week. How would putting the stock pot outside work? It's about 16 degrees outside here at night. ideas? Thanks!

peace
-gw
You'll be an old man by the time that wort is cooled.

Cooling wort is all about heat transfer. Air is not a good conductor of heat. That's why double paned windows are so insulative.

Where do you go with a hot frying pan to cool it off??? Not outside...

Straight to a sink of water.

Trust me...if you don't have a wort chiller, an ice bath is the fastest method.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrg
Doing the ice bath outside would be slightly faster than inside, but you can't rely solely on air for cooling, since it's a poor conductor of heat. As an example of this in action, go stick your hand in a 500F oven (without touching the sides, of course) for five seconds, then contemplate what would happen if you stuck your hand in 212F water for five seconds.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
web250
Recipes 

Ok, my results:
Bought a 16lb bag of ice ($3 from 7-11). Dunked the pot in water, then added ice, ice, more ice, etc.

Cooled down to about 70 in under half an hour. Then it was effortless to pour my wort, add extra water, pitch my yeast, and now my fermenter is sealed up waiting to bubble!

Upcoming: None
Primary: Steam Beer
Conditioning: None
Drinking: Oktoberfest, Blonde Ale

Quick Reply