Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to clean hoses...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
cactussam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to clean hoses...

So, I've noticed that between my last batch and my current batch, the piece of hose that I use for my blowoff during the first few days of fermentation gets pretty grimy with sediment and what looks like hop particles. I've struggled to find an easy way to get this clean, and up till this point have been just sticking it up to the faucet and trying to create a seal to the tubing with my hand. This usually ends up with water spraying all over the place while I burn my hands with hot water.

Anybody have a better way of doing this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Make a hot solution of Oxyclean or PBW and soak overnight.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

+1 I give them a good soak in oxyclean and then a good rinse.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 913 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

I attach the hose to my autosiphon, fill a bucket with warm oxyclean water, and pump the oxyclean water through the hose. Rinse the bucket and fill with water, then pump the water through the hose to rinse. I clean everything all at once this way.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Sandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Clean blow-off tubing? I just toss it. Typically the tubing that i use for blow off has been used at least once for racking. IMO tubing is way too cheap and way to much of a PIA to clean to risk infecting a batch.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Along the lines of this, can I ask what you do after you take a gravity reading? I'm going to be brewing my third batch, and after a couple of weeks in the primary when I want to check the gravity, am I supposed to thoroughly clean my wine thief with oxyclean free each and every time? It seems like a waste of oxyclean to make a batch two or three days in a row. Is this stuff comparable to star san in that it can be put in a spray bottle that can be used more than once?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

cactussam - An overnight soak in Oxyclean does wonders. Make sure you feed the hose slowly down into the bucket of Oxyclean (or whatever you're soaking stuff in) so the liquid fills the hose completely, with no air pockets. That's very important, otherwise any sediment will collect in the air pocket and dry on overnight. It took me a couple of tries to get the hang of it. After soaking, I rinse well by putting the garden hose nozzle on the "jet" setting and spraying water through the hose in both directions.

kyle6286 - In my experience, Oxyclean does not have the staying power of StarSan. I usually mix up a bucket at least once a week to soak bottles in, and I use it 2 or 3 times depending on how dirty the bottles were. After about 5-6 days it's not very potent anymore. I'm not sure it would last in a spray bottle. If I have stuff to soak during the week, I'll usually just add it to my bucket of bottles, but I don't really get that much sediment in my wine thief, so I usually just rinse it clean (and sanitize it again before the next time I dip it, of course). If you're not already mixing up Oxyclean for something else, you could always soak the thief in StarSan instead.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks. I usually just wash the thief out with hot water and spray some star san if I don't have any oxyclean made up.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
tomasej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post
Along the lines of this, can I ask what you do after you take a gravity reading? I'm going to be brewing my third batch, and after a couple of weeks in the primary when I want to check the gravity, am I supposed to thoroughly clean my wine thief with oxyclean free each and every time? It seems like a waste of oxyclean to make a batch two or three days in a row. Is this stuff comparable to star san in that it can be put in a spray bottle that can be used more than once?
Kyle,
Don't confuse cleaning and sanitizing. The Oxyclean cleans and Star san sanitizes. It is important to do both but if you rinse the thief well enough right after you use it then you don't have to go through the whole process. The Oxyclean is great because it breaks up the caked on malt and hop oils/residue. If you rinse the tube after you use you won't have any of that. Then just hit it with some Star San right before you use it and you should be good to go.

- Joey

Old 05-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I know. I make sure to clean the majority of my equipment and follow with a good sanitization. However, I was unsure on what's required when cleaning out the wine thief. Since I like to take hydrometer readings in two or three consecutive days, I'd like to use the method that provides the least work in between. I've found that as long as I rinse it out right after taking my reading, it only needs to be sanitized.

Quick Reply