The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How can you keep Chest freezer on or off longer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
tylo_k2008
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How can you keep Chest freezer on or off longer?

Hey. So I have a chest freezer. It is the magic chef 5.5cf. And I have a love thermostat, which is hooked up to an outlet (Keezer plugged into outlet).
At first my chest reezer was on for about 5 minutes and off for about 14. Then I insulated it and taped it all off now it stays on for about 7 minutes and off for about 24.

What I am wondering is- what can I do to keep the chest freezer on longer, or off longer? I heard with the chest freezer keep turning on and off that it can drastically short the life of the freezer. If there was a way where I could just keep the freezer on all the time at 37 degrees that would be great! But unfortunately I don't think thats an option. Any tips or suggestions I can try to keep my chest freezer lasting as long as possible. I would definately hate to have to start all over with a new freezer, rebuilding the collar and everything. Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If using a PID, you can set the on/off temps further apart an allow the fridge to cyle less. If using an STC-1000 or similar heater/cooler from Ebay and others, give us a model number to help decipher your issue. Hope this helps you get set-up and brewing.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

But he has a LOVE controller. How do you get that to have a larger differential in temperature than the standard +/- 2*?

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
billl
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is no possible way your beer temp changes 4 degrees in 7 minutes. You need to get that probe measuring the beer temp not the air temp. I tape mine to the fermenter and then cover with several layers of bubble wrap.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
tylo_k2008
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the love ts2-010 love thermostat. My set point is set to 37 degrees and the thermostat ranges anywhere from 35-38 degrees. Also I do not have a fermenter. I currently have 1 - 1/6th keg and 2 cornie kegs. The thermostat probe hangs in the middle of the chest freezer, roughly 8 inches or so from the bottom. Hope this helps you help me. :-)

Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
billl
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"The thermostat probe hangs in the middle of the chest freezer, roughly 8 inches or so from the bottom."

You are just measuring air temp and that is why it is cycling so fast. Tape the probe to one of the kegs and the tape a covering over it. I like bubble wrap, but any insulator will do.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
If using a PID, you can set the on/off temps further apart an allow the fridge to cyle less. If using an STC-1000 or similar heater/cooler from Ebay and others, give us a model number to help decipher your issue. Hope this helps you get set-up and brewing.
Wheelchair Bob
If you are using a PID, you should be able to adjust the Interval values (the I in PID).

If you are using a cheap chinese digital controller - which is a PI controller (Program and Interval, no Derivative) - you can still set the Interval values.

If you have, for example, the extremely cheap Willhi WH-7016c, look at the Hysteresis and Delay functions in the manual:

http://www.willhi.com/Documents/WH7016Cdatasheet.pdf

These are standard functions in digital thermal controllers. I haven't looked at the Love manual, but if it lacks this sort of function, it's worthless.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
tylo_k2008
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok. Thanks Billl for the suggestion. I bubble wrapped it and taped it to the keg. I am not sure how thick the bubble wrap should be around the probe. Anyways it went from being on for 7 minutes and off for 24 minutes to now being on for 11 minutes and off for 26 1/2 minutes. So the cycle moved a little bit. Ive heard people that have their cycles up to 45 minutes. I am not sure if thats true of not - But I know I want to get the longest cycle possible. And for those who keep question my Love Thermostat it is the Dwyer Ts2-010 Love Thermostat which I bought for $50 right off the Dwyer website. Any other suggestions or ways I can get the cycle to be a little longer?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
zacjack
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Put your temperature probe in a glass / bottle of water at the middle of your keezer. I have a little "bump" in mine where the compressor motor is. I put a pint glass of water there and the probe in the water. This will give you a close representation of beer temperature and not just the air temperature. If you don't have a fan to circulate the air from bottom to top you may want to get one setup as well. Cold air will sink to the bottom so your kegs may be colder at the bottom than the top.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacjack View Post
Put your temperature probe in a glass / bottle of water at the middle of your keezer. I have a little "bump" in mine where the compressor motor is. I put a pint glass of water there and the probe in the water. This will give you a close representation of beer temperature and not just the air temperature. If you don't have a fan to circulate the air from bottom to top you may want to get one setup as well. Cold air will sink to the bottom so your kegs may be colder at the bottom than the top.
I use a pill bottle that I drilled a hole through, and after I stuck the probe in I sealed it on both sides of the lid with silicone caulk. It too has water in it, but it's sealed to keep it from spilling, and I can also move it around if I want to check the temp in different areas of the keezer.

Here's a pic of it-

It's sitting on the bucket in the back. And it too normally hangs about halfway down.

You can also see I have some L brackets mounting a small computer fan in there as well.

I've got to say, mine's staying pretty steady at 4 degrees c, and it only seems to be going on once an hour...I'm trying to time it, but I cant seem to catch when it's on....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Stauffbier Likes This 

Quick Reply