Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How can we help eliminate misinformation on this site?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
BrookdaleBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How can we help eliminate misinformation on this site?

It's mentioned later in this thread that we already have a thumbs up/thumbs down feature on this site. Would it be possible to expand this feature so that we could see which posts have been given a thumbs up/thumbs down and how many of each have been given? I think this would be a better way to accomplish what I'm attempting to achieve here.

====================================
Original post below:

I'll start off by saying that I have learned 90% of what I know about brewing from this site and it has been essential to me throughout my journey as a homebrewer.

One thing that I've continued to notice as I become more experienced is the continuous spewing of misinformation by people who are just parroting the misinformation they've read in a similar thread while having no real world experience on the subject. I know I was guilty of it when I was a beginner but now I get frustrated when reading these kinds of posts here.

Why would someone take my advice when there are 10 posts above mine with differing/incorrect information?

Obviously Yooper can't reply to every thread, so how are beginners going to know who to trust? When I was new here, I assumed the premium supporters were all knowledgeable people but then I realized you can become a premium member without knowing the first thing about brewing. Eventually I learned who the knowledgeable people were but that took a while.

I propose we come up with some kind of designation for trusted members. Their IDs would stand out in some way similar to how premium members do. The admins could deem anyone a trusted member if they notice them giving out lots of good advice. This would let the beginners know who to trust when it they get 10 different replies to a question with 10 different answers.

I think this would contribute greatly to the community and help stop the misinformation and myths from being so regularly repeated here.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
TTB-J
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to the internet.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB-J View Post
Welcome to the internet.
Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

maybe a rating system that mods could assign to people who know their stuff? like gold stars or something?

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I think this is a terrible idea. If admins/mods determine who is rated as a trusted poster, then why not just say only admins can answer questions?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB-J View Post
Welcome to the internet.
Exactly; I belong to several different forums, some technical & others like this one for my hobbies. They are all the same.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
I think this is a terrible idea. If admins/mods determine who is rated as a trusted poster, then why not just say only admins can answer questions?
Obviously they can't answer every question. And I'm in no way saying others shouldn't be able to answer questions, I'm just saying it'd be nice to somehow designate someone that generally gives good advice.

I know there is more than one way to skin a cat and I'm sure even the most experienced brewers could argue the best way to do something, but I see so many posts on this site that are just plain wrong. That is what we're trying to eliminate.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 39

This forum isn't an authoritative reference or a peer-reviewed academic environment. It's a forum. You'll get good accurate information, inaccurate information, something in between and information that might be thought "bad" today only to be "accepted" tomorrow. It's up to you to sort it out, just like in the rest of the world. If you don't want to exercise that sort of judgment, arm yourself with whatever comprehensive reference book you prefer and choose to believe it all. But don't rely on two, because they'll contradict one another... then you'll need a moderator again. Darn! Gathering information and making your own informed choices seems almost inevitable, huh?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt17 View Post
Exactly; I belong to several different forums, some technical & others like this one for my hobbies. They are all the same.
So we should just accept things the way they are? I'm proposing a way to help the situation.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I don't think there is really a problem with misinformation.
If somebody does post something obviously wrong folks will be quick to let them know.
A lot of times there are more then one correct answer to a question, and more then one solution to a problem.
Don't believe everything you read, and if you are not sure what to believe get the answers verified elsewhere.

Quick Reply