New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How can I save my yeast? It's in the starter right now.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
rockout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How can I save my yeast? It's in the starter right now.

I'm brewing today and have a starter that I prepared 2 days ago.

My question is, what's the best way to use this starter tonight AND save the yeast to use another time? I have another Erlenmeyer flask ready to go. Should I take a little bit of the current starter and make another starter with it, then bottle it? Do I use the sludge at the bottom of today's starter or the liquid? Help!

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Use the whole starter to make today's brew, then when that's ready to bottle/keg/rack to secondary, see http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/
There's no point in making a starter to increase the cell count, and undo all your good work by reducing the call count in order to make another starter.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
rockout
Recipes 

Hey thanks!

How about this, for the next time I try it - if I make a starter 4-6 days before brew day, and 2-3 days before brew day I split it up and make 2 starters out of it, can I save that yeast if I stick it in a bottle and refrigerate it?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I guess you could do that, but I'd still wait until after the primary is finished, when you will have so much yeast, you won't know what to do with it.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply