The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How can I get clear beer in this situation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
arringtonbp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How can I get clear beer in this situation

I have run into a predicament. In the past, I lived in a one floor apartment, and my beers all came out very clear and consistent because I never had to move my fermenter up stairs much. These beers either spent 4 weeks in primary or 1 week primary 3 weeks secondary.

However, now I am in a situation where my only option is to ferment downstairs (new place). The kitchen is on the second floor. I recently did an ESB and bottled after 3 weeks. The beer is STILL cloudy after about a month in the bottles and a couple weeks in the fridge. It tastes just fine, although it seems a bit watery, and the hops are not as strong as I thought they'd be.

I am about to do northern brewer's 90 shilling ale, and I need to figure out a fermenting schedule that will ensure I have clear beer this time. I know many recommend 4 weeks in primary, but I am concerned about whether this will be long enough for a slightly heavier beer (~7-7.5%). Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by arringtonbp
I have run into a predicament. In the past, I lived in a one floor apartment, and my beers all came out very clear and consistent because I never had to move my fermenter up stairs much. These beers either spent 4 weeks in primary or 1 week primary 3 weeks secondary.

However, now I am in a situation where my only option is to ferment downstairs (new place). The kitchen is on the second floor. I recently did an ESB and bottled after 3 weeks. The beer is STILL cloudy after about a month in the bottles and a couple weeks in the fridge. It tastes just fine, although it seems a bit watery, and the hops are not as strong as I thought they'd be.

I am about to do northern brewer's 90 shilling ale, and I need to figure out a fermenting schedule that will ensure I have clear beer this time. I know many recommend 4 weeks in primary, but I am concerned about whether this will be long enough for a slightly heavier beer (~7-7.5%). Any thoughts?
After you transfer it upstairs, let it sit a day or two before bottling. A cold crash also helps, but you need a cooling source

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
arringtonbp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The odd thing is that this is actually what I did with my ESB. The reason I have to keep the beer downstairs is because it's colder down there, but I suppose after 3 weeks I could let the beer sit upstairs in the kitchen for a week then bottle.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sure, fermentation is usually done in a week (for standard OG beers) so slightly higher temperature after that shouldn't make big change.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 11-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I would cold crash in a fridge or cool chamber. I don't think basement temps will be cold enough to drop out the yeast. Unless your basement is severely cold. 35-40F

Have you tried using whirlfloc or Irish moss in the mash I hear gelatin works good but haven't tried that.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can cold crash in a bucket/tub wit lots of ice. I use a large plastic tub I got from Walmart for $6. Ice is $2.50 for 15 lbs at my local supermarket (or you can use the old ice-cube-trays-in-the-freezer method).

Can you move your bottling operation downstairs, rather than bringing your fermenter upstairs?

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

My beer is really clear at packaging, and I never cold crash.

Using a highly flocculant yeast helps, of course. I normally leave my beers in the fermenter for 10-14 days, and don't really do anything special. I don't use finings like gelatin or anything, either. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Move your fermenting ops upstairs and use a swamp cooler for temps? Or just bottle downstairs? Why do you need to move the bucket back up to the second floor? Going up and down stairs with 5+ gallons sounds like an accident waiting to happen, and a lot of beer that could be wasted

Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I may be off base here but it seems that when I use gelatin the trub is more solid than without. It might help keep it at the bottom when moving it. ??

bosco

Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

I prefer high flocculation yeasts myself. Easier to settle out in a couple weeks. But I have a room that's around 70F to ferment in. then the boxed bottles go upstairs to a warmer room to carb & condition. You need 70F+ to get them to carb up decent.

Quick Reply