Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to calc ABV if you add more sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
sandman24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to calc ABV if you add more sugar

Okay, so Ive read some recipes where you add additional sugars i.e. brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses... to the primary after so many days of fermentation. My question is how in the world do your figure out your ABV if your gravity readings are always changing?? Do you take a reading every time you add sugar? Is there a magic equation that I haven't read yet?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes there is a measurable amount of fermentable sugars to each item. i.e. cane sugar = 42 GU per lb. in a 5 gallon batch you divide the 42 by 5 = 8.4 = add 1.0084 to your OG.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
sandman24
Recipes 

Is there a easier way to find the gravity unit of fermentable sugars for a noob??

Thanks

Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman24 View Post
Is there a easier way to find the gravity unit of fermentable sugars for a noob??

Thanks
By looking at this table and going by the third (or fourth) column:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/sugars.html also lists a couple, and brewing software such as Strangebrew Java 2.01 has a database of all sorts of ingredients that you can look up, add to a recipe, and calculate the resulting gravity.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Last edited by ArcaneXor; 01-14-2009 at 02:08 AM.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

By far the easiest way is to enter this data into a brewing program like Beer Smith. Refined sugars have totally consistent and known fermentability, so its predictions will be very accurate for something like this.

Adding sugar is different to the original mash, where the software estimate can be thrown off by differences in your mash efficiency. But as long as you take a reading after the initial mash and boil, you can use that to calculate your efficiency and get the software set up right, after which it will accurately tell you the effect of adding extra sugars.

Quick Reply