Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How big was my mistake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Odds are, the visible fermentation process was simply done after 48 hours. Nthing at all is wrong.

Do note that while vigorous bubbles tell you that fermentation is going on, lack of them doesn't mean that fermentation is not happening - especially if you are fermenting in a bucket, as the lids are notoriously bad to seal. Instead of CO2 escaping through the airlock, it takes the path of least resistance and escapes around the seal.

Don't stir the beer after fermentation has started, you don't want to introduce oxygen.

Best advice? Be patent and leave your beer alone! Yeast know how to make beer, they don't need your help.

Invest the $8 for a hydrometer. There is no other way to be sure if fermentation is done. Take gravity readings a couple days apart. If they are the same, fermentation is done... though the beer could probably use a little longer to clean up and condition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Pitching that warm and keeping the ambient temperature at 70, imo, would lead to fast hard fermentation. Now the really hard part. keep th lid on it and don't touch it for another 2-1/2 weeks at least. If the ambient room temp was 70, it was probably fermenting in the mid 70s. The yeast is still doing it's thing, even though it may not be producting a lot of CO2, so let the yeast clean up some of those off flavors it may have produced by fermenting a little on the warm side.

This actually happened on my first brew. I thought, room 68, perfect, but it was actually fermenting in the mid 70s and it pretty much looked like fermentation was done in 48 hours. After 2 weeks I checked gravity and tasted it, it wasn't very good. I let it sit another week on the yeast and it made a big difference in the final product.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
MikePenn
Recipes 

So I bottled this batch yesterday, and me and a buddy tried a little of it. It turned out perfectly, possibly better, after I said that the "fermentation was over" I decided to take a peek into the jug and I almost got knocked off of my feet from the smell of CO2. I dry hopped it a week ago (per instructions). and continued with the process (total time in fermentation 3 weeks) To anyone who ever makes a mistake like this I say to you have the patience everyone talks about, the little guys DO know what they are doing and they will fix your mistakes, this allows you to take all the credit (we all know they really deserve it). They made me such a good tasting beer my buddy decided that it didnt need carbonation and just drank it flat. I agreed

Quick Reply