Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How bad is this screw up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
LadyGwen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How bad is this screw up?

I just went thru the "did I ruin my beer' section and didn't see my issue so here goes

We brewed a chocolate stout from a kit we got from Austin Homebrew.. Added the alcohol boost etc.

What I thought was odd was that there was no beer add pack, or so we thought.. So we just brewed it anyway...

I found the beer add pack w/priming sugar in a bag with the small bag of bottle priming sugar today amongst some other stuff we had. We brewed the stout on 6/6.

Did I totally blow it? Is there any way I can salvage the stout? It figures me and my dh both pick a beer and I seemed to have ruined my pick..

Any help would be awesome.. Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 913 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 26

So you're saying you didn't use the alcohol boost back? No big deal.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
LadyGwen
Recipes 

No.. I used the alcohol boost pack.. I didn't use the beer kit add pack

Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
So you're saying you didn't use the alcohol boost back? No big deal.
Actually unless I'm misreading, I think she did add the booster.

I don't know what a "beer add pack" is though.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Is the beer add pack the malt extract? If that is the case, you'll have to find a way to get that in there.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
LadyGwen
Recipes 

When you buy a kit from AHB it comes with the grain, malt etc.. The kits come with a 'beer add pack' that you're supposed to throw in when it's boiling.. (it looks like sugar)

Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

According to AHB web site, the "beer add pack" for that kit is maltodextrin and some corn sugar/DME blend.

You'll probably end up with a lighter bodied, slightly less alcohol-y stout. Definitely not ruined-- just different.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Did a little google to clarify things...

Quote:
our beer kit add pack is a blend of dried malt extract, corn sugar and maltodextrin, it will provide the best results, much better than granulated table sugar.
Hmmm looks like that is used to boost the grav of your beer, but with the malto, also increase the body as well....did you take a hydrometer reading? Your OG should have been different than what it said it would be in the instructions.

Well at this point your fermentation is pretty much over, so there's probably no point in bothering to add it...You still made beer, it just won't be a stout....more than likely it will be closer in body to a brown ale.

But still drinkable...

Next time you brew a kit...spread everything out on the counter and make sure you have every ingredient that the recipe said should be there, just like with cooking.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
LadyGwen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Did a little google to clarify things...

Hmmm looks like that is used to boost the grav of your beer, but with the malto, also increase the body as well....did you take a hydrometer reading? Your OG should have been different than what it said it would be in the instructions.

Well at this point your fermentation is pretty much over, so there's probably no point in bothering to add it...You still made beer, it just won't be a stout....more than likely it will be closer in body to a brown ale.

But still drinkable...

Next time you brew a kit...spread everything out on the counter and make sure you have every ingredient that the recipe said should be there, just like with cooking.
My dh is on the phone w/ ABH..
At first the guy said to take some water and boil it w/it and cool it down. But then he realized there will be no room in the bucket for it.. My dh suggested taking a gallon of the mixture out and doing it that way.. So the guy he was on the phone with asked someone and said it was a good idea so that's what we are going to do..

We did have everything laid out.. we had several distractions that night so it was easy to miss.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
At first the guy said to take some water and boil it w/it and cool it down. But then he realized there will be no room in the bucket for it.. My dh suggested taking a gallon of the mixture out and doing it that way..
How much stuff is in the "beer pack"? At first I thought it was just a little and not much to worry about, but now I wonder if you're fermentables are considerably lower without it. Did you take a gravity reading?

My Beer Cellar

Quick Reply