Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How bad is boil over?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
district_davis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default How bad is boil over?

I'm in the process of making my 4th brew now, and it seems like every time I brew there's at least one boil over. This most recent one I caught it almost instantly and terminated the heat, but there was still what seemed like a lot spilled out on my stove and on the kettle lid.

How much will this effect the final product, and is there anything I can do to correct it if does effect it significantly?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Black
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Don't worry it happened to everyone of us. Unless you spilled liters of wort on your stove, it should not noticeably affect the final product.

There is no correction for this, other than watching the pot VERY closely before the boil begins. Also, turn down the element as soon as the boil begins. Then, increase slowly until the boil resumes and stop there. You want a rolling boil, not a "splashing" boil , so try to adjust your element to get that.

Good luck !

Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Yep, you're OK.

(this may have been better in the "begginer brewers" forum)

Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Have a spray bottle of clean water handy. Spray that hot break/hop addition down and your boil overs will tend to be a thing of the past unless you are just over working your brew kettle for its capacity. I personally like to keep my pre-boil volume about 1.5 gallons less than the total volume of my kettle.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 743 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Fermcap-S. I had one boilover, started adding Fermcap and never had another one. Get'cha a bottle and never look back.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by district_davis View Post
and on the kettle lid.
This part worries me a bit. What are you doing with the kettle lid on the pot? Don't boil with the lid on. Boil with the lid off to drive off all that DMS.

I also use Fermcap-S (or equivalent) and rarely have boil overs. You absolutely have to watch the pot like a hawk when the boil is about to start, and for a couple minutes after that. It's just the nature of all the sugar/starch/protien in the wort that is going to cause lots of sticky bubbles and you most likely will have to stir/blow/spray them down at least a little bit until the hot break happens. Once that happens boilovers are much less likely to happen.

Fermcap-S is also helpful in starters to keep the krausen under control on the stir plate in the flask.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
district_davis
Recipes 

Thanks guys!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 743 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Oh, and Easy-Off and elbow grease works pretty well to get the wort off the stove.

Quick Reply